Where did you get your shopsmith?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Did you buy your machine new from shopsmith

Yes
45%
No
44%
Inherited it
11%

Total votes: 100

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Where did you get your shopsmith?

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I wondered how many forum members actually bought their Shopsmith from Shopsmith.

I also wonder how those that have feel about seeing resales prices as low as a couple hundred bucks?
RobertTaylor
Platinum Member

Re: Where did you get your shopsmith?

Post by RobertTaylor »

First one was from shopsmith in 1982 at the Ohio state fair. still have it but going to give it to my grandson. the one that I really use is a craigslist find about 10 years ago for much less than the 510 upgrade cost. back in 1982 I had no computer, craigslist or anything other than the classifieds in the newspaper to hunt for stuff. I remember seeing a demo at the fair as child and thought that I would get one someday. kinda had the "bound toos" if you know what I mean.
Skizzity
Gold Member

Post by Skizzity »

My first one was my Mark 7 purchased at Lowe's in 2015. Six months later I bought a 1979 "500" with a jointer on craigslist for $150. I kept the jointer and resold the 500 for $150. I wish I had the room to keep the 500 as well.
PowerPro Mark 7, 11" Bandsaw, 4" Jointer, 12" Professional Planer, DC3300 Dust Collector, DW745, DW718 w/ DW723 and a DW788 w/ DW7880.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. -Winston Churchill
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Interesting survey.

It could use more fields in my opinion since I did not buy all or even most of my Shopsmiths from Shopsmith.

Many of us have multiple machines.

My first purchased, I bought new in Dallas at the Shopsmith Store on North Central Expressway. Back in those days they had all sorts of package deals available. Mine was called "The Ultimate" which had literally everything and SPT's. It took multiple trips in my Ranchero back in the day to get it all home. Wish I still had that Ranchero.

I sold some bits and pieces of that system including some of the SPT's, downsizing as I moved to Lubbock in the early 1980's.

Everett
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

If I remember correctly, my husband ordered mine new as a gift in late 1997 or early 1998. He did not know what they were until after we were married and I drug him to demo's. Maybe he got tired of me saying I wanted one and just got it to shut me up. :D
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
delong94
Gold Member

Post by delong94 »

I got mine from an add on CL in early 2014. It was a refurbed greenie with the following:

mitre gauge with safety grip
original universal hold down
original chuck
Bandsaw (dated 1994) with fence and extra blades (rusty)
Strip sander (missing 1/2 inch platen)
Original Magna 610 jig saw (needed a split tube and new trunion)
Original Magna jointer with auxiliary fence (fence was missing hardware)
Biscuit jointer
Drum sander package with vacuum accessory
Router/shaper fence with circular shield
Two sanding discs
large lathe plate and tool rest
molding head with 3 sets of blades
used dado and 3 saw blades with arbors
mortise hold down
dust collector with attachments (needed new hood and hose)
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Used off of Craigslist.

About resale value, the real question is whether Shopsmith's resell at prices that are lower (as a percentage of original purchase price) than other power tools of similar vintage.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

wrmnfzy
Platinum Member

Post by wrmnfzy »

Lare 70s from the mothership.
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

All used and never more then $250 off of CL.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I inherited mine from my Dad around 1988 who bought it new from Shopsmith in 1983. Both of us have kept it busy working wood.
Around here, used ones sell for high prices compared to most places in the US. There are currently 3 for sale here in the $1000-$2000 range and no cheap ones I'm aware of.