Jigsaw/scrollsaw

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

canuck
Bronze Member

Jigsaw/scrollsaw

Post by canuck »

:confused: I've had my Shopsmith since 1978. It's still a 500. I'm so much
a part of it I can't bring myself to upgrade. Shortly after buying the Shopsmith
I also got the power jigsaw/scrollsaw, which gets used more then any other
part of this machine. Unfortunatly this item is no longer available from
Shopsmith and its getting old and worn, it needs parts or I may have to give it
up soon. Anybody got any leads to parts for this item?? I really don't want to give up this machine. The combination jigsaw/scrollsaw has come in extreamly
handy.:(
hollisgov
Bronze Member

Jigsaw / Scrollsaw

Post by hollisgov »

I've got 2 and willing to part with one or both. Please email me at hollis_gov@yahoo.com for further information.

Thanks,
Bruce in Florida

I don't know when SS stopped selling these and how many were sold with the name SS but the ones I have are Magna (before it became SS) and I have the pulley to fit the 10ER. I just replied to this because you asked if anyone had one.
debrown
Gold Member

Post by debrown »

You sure Shopsmith doesn't have parts? You might also try :eek: EBAY :eek:, I see them on there from time to time.

Good lusck and I hope this helped
Bellevue58
Bronze Member

Post by Bellevue58 »

Just be careful who you buy from and how you pay. There have been some horrible stories to be told about people and fraud with regard to Shopsmith products. Most are legit but you just never know.
nimrod
Silver Member

Post by nimrod »

What parts do you need?

SS still sells quite a few of the parts, but you need a breakdown sheet to find the numbers. You have to call them to get it.

If they don't have what you're looking for, I've got an organ-donor jigsaw in my basement somewhere.
deathwish2

Post by deathwish2 »

Is it one of these?:
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/part ... tslist.htm

Or is it one of the older ones with the tubular arm?
--Mark
When it comes to woodworking and buying tools,
I always think back to my grandfathers advice on golf . . .
"it's not the arrows, it's the Indian.''
scottscreeker
Bronze Member

Need blades for model 610 jigsaw.

Post by scottscreeker »

Does anyone know which Delta blades fit my model 610 18" jigsaw? Linda at customer service told me Shopsmith no longer stocks parts for this model, but she had heard Delta made blades that would fit, but didn't know which ones.
deanthom
Gold Member

Post by deanthom »

There are numbers of places to get blades. Just need to know what you want and need.

[list]
[*] Does this model use only pinned blades or can it use unpinned?
[*] Five inch or six inch?
[*] what kind of work are you doing? Really fine or general?[/list]
I can't remember the spec on this puppy. I used to know, but am just not sure. I have a couple of dandy sources for you when you share what blades you're needing.[/color]
Dean Thomas
KCMO
520, jointer, bandsaw, stripsander
scottscreeker
Bronze Member

Blades for model 610 jigsaw

Post by scottscreeker »

Thanks for your prompt response, Dean. I cannot tell you from direct observation what length blades the 610 requires as I threw away the piece that broke before I found Shopsmith no longer supports the 610 and I only have the ends which remained in the upper and lower chucks. From reading other posts on the Shopsmith User Group website, I gather I need 5" plain end blades. The ends of the blades I removed from the chucks do not have pins, but do have 1/16" holes that may have held pins that were driven out before the blades were installed. Several forum/user group posts refer to doing that. I do mostly general wood cutting. I was given this attachment along with an ancient Mark V and have only used it a couple of times. I've only used the Mark V occasionally as a table saw and don't do a lot of woodworking or have much experience. The only jigsaw blade that came with the machine broke over a year ago. I just replaced the Gilmer belt on the power head and decided to go ahead and try to get the jigsaw back up and running, too. I think I'll buy some blades at Lowes and see if they fit. If they don't and I haven't broken them, I can always return them.
deanthom
Gold Member

Post by deanthom »

There is a great little chart put out by Olson, an American blade maker. Tells the standard sizes and tooth configurations. You can find it to download at SCROLLSAWBLADECHART. If you buy in bulk from the right place, they'll provide you one that's printed, too! If you need help, contact me via PM or via email, off forum.
Dean Thomas
KCMO
520, jointer, bandsaw, stripsander