10er Dedicated Lathe Thread

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Dansmith
Gold Member

Re: 10er Dedicated Lathe Thread

Post by Dansmith »

Thanks for the offer, Doug, but I will hold off for now. Still trying to learn turning in forward. Reverse would really complicate it for me. :D

Now, with your machinist background, you should devise a platform that will accept a common lathe tailstock to mount and slide along the rails. :)
dvsmith86
Gold Member

Post by dvsmith86 »

I believe with the sliding headstock and extendable quill, there is no need for a conventional tailstock.
-
Doug Smith
10E SN:10290 Dedicated drill press
10ER SN:69488 Lathe, saw, sander, etc.
Retired Machinist & CNC Programmer
Beginner woodworking
Passions: Restoring, repairing, repurposing
Dansmith
Gold Member

Post by Dansmith »

dvsmith86 wrote:I believe with the sliding headstock and extendable quill, there is no need for a conventional tailstock.
Good point.
dvsmith86
Gold Member

Reversing 10E/ER motor

Post by dvsmith86 »

Dansmith wrote:Thanks for the offer, Doug, but I will hold off for now. Still trying to learn turning in forward. Reverse would really complicate it for me. :D
Dan, I understand. However others read this thread and may be interested.

I have discovered two advantages when running the spindle in reverse:

1> When sanding, the dust tends to fly toward the back of the lathe instead of toward your face shield. You do wear one, right?

2> Turning inside a bowl with the toolrest mounted on the back and the spindle reversed is very similar to turning the OD with the toolrest in front. Visibility is greatly improved, and the tool is in a familiar position.

CAUTION: Never run in reverse with threaded workholders or the drive spur.
-
Doug Smith
Beginner woodworking
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Reversing 10E/ER motor

Post by JPG »

dvsmith86 wrote:
Dansmith wrote:Thanks for the offer, Doug, but I will hold off for now. Still trying to learn turning in forward. Reverse would really complicate it for me. :D
Dan, I understand. However others read this thread and may be interested.

I have discovered two advantages when running the spindle in reverse:

1> When sanding, the dust tends to fly toward the back of the lathe instead of toward your face shield. You do wear one, right?

2> Turning inside a bowl with the toolrest mounted on the back and the spindle reversed is very similar to turning the OD with the toolrest in front. Visibility is greatly improved, and the tool is in a familiar position.

CAUTION: Never run in reverse with threaded workholders or the drive spur.
As well as the screw center.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dvsmith86
Gold Member

Post by dvsmith86 »

Just for fun... I decided to post some pictures of my 10ER as it sits in my garage and some of the modifications / additions along with some parts.
A couple mallets I turned from red oak.  I made the smaller one today.
A couple mallets I turned from red oak. I made the smaller one today.
IMG_20170922_145608876-600x800.jpg (125.51 KiB) Viewed 12990 times
Drum switch for spindle direction control.
Drum switch for spindle direction control.
IMG_20170922_145228441-600x800.jpg (123.49 KiB) Viewed 12990 times
Detail of fence storage.
Detail of fence storage.
IMG_20170922_145206075_HDR-600x800.jpg (158.8 KiB) Viewed 12990 times
Next picture shows the other side with a magnetic strip to hold the blade guard, try square,combination square, a couple 6" rules, and so on. Note the extreme lower left corner there are two 1¾ dowels mounted to the wall where I can store the 10E tailstock when I take it off. That tailstock and aux table can also be cleared and used as a work support to the left of the saw.
Next picture shows the other side with a magnetic strip to hold the blade guard, try square,combination square, a couple 6" rules, and so on. Note the extreme lower left corner there are two 1¾ dowels mounted to the wall where I can store the 10E tailstock when I take it off. That tailstock and aux table can also be cleared and used as a work support to the left of the saw.
IMG_20170922_145143332-600x800.jpg (159.17 KiB) Viewed 12990 times
The left end with my tool holder, the tailstock off my 10E (dedicated drill press), the 10E auxillary table, the storage for the chuck, toolrest, drill chucks, fence, etc.
The left end with my tool holder, the tailstock off my 10E (dedicated drill press), the 10E auxillary table, the storage for the chuck, toolrest, drill chucks, fence, etc.
IMG_20170922_145155083_HDR-600x800.jpg (152.02 KiB) Viewed 12990 times
Ju
The first picture looks pretty normal - drive spur on spindle, live center in the tailstock.
The first picture looks pretty normal - drive spur on spindle, live center in the tailstock.
IMG_20170922_145048515-800x600.jpg (137.76 KiB) Viewed 12990 times
Attachments
My second attempt at turning a bowl.
My second attempt at turning a bowl.
IMG_20170919_170824733_crop_466x299.jpg (121.33 KiB) Viewed 12990 times
-
Doug Smith
Beginner woodworking
Dansmith
Gold Member

Post by Dansmith »

Thanks for your post, Doug. I like the mallets and the bowl. Those bowls with the curved inside near the top are very difficult. I like your set-up. That forward and reverse "drum switch" is interesting. I'm not too well versed in electrical stuff, among many other things.

I noticed in one of your photos, you have a wrench hanging on the headstock clamp down. Does that help remove any vibration out of the headstock to tube on the opposite side?
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

dvsmith86 wrote:Just for fun... I decided to post some pictures of my 10ER as it sits in my garage and some of the modifications / additions along with some parts.
Nice setup. :cool: :)

I see you have both styles of tool rest arms, (set screw on side and set screw in the center), Do you have a preference for one over the other? Personally I prefer the original (set screw on the side.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
dvsmith86
Gold Member

Post by dvsmith86 »

Dansmith wrote:Thanks for your post, Doug. I like the mallets...(edited)

I noticed in one of your photos, you have a wrench hanging on the headstock clamp down. Does that help remove any vibration out of the headstock to tube on the opposite side?
No, the wrench is because the lock lever was cut off - shortened - by a previous owner, and I have not yet replaced it.
-
Doug Smith
Beginner woodworking
dvsmith86
Gold Member

Post by dvsmith86 »

Dansmith wrote:Thanks for your post, Doug. I like the mallets...(edited)

No, the wrench is because the lock lever was cut off - shortened - by a previous owner, and I have not yet replaced it.
rpd wrote:
Nice setup. :cool: :)

I see you have both styles of tool rest arms, (set screw on side and set screw in the center), Do you have a preference for one over the other? Personally I prefer the original (set screw on the side.
Thank you, I like everything to be within reach. As to which style tool rest arm I prefer - I have no preference, except I do really like the levers on the long one. I'll eventually purchase levers for the short one.
-
Doug Smith
Beginner woodworking