10er Dedicated Lathe Thread

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Dansmith
Gold Member

10er Dedicated Lathe Thread

Post by Dansmith »

I have only had a 10er (actually 2) for less than a month now. I have one with a speed changer, set up as a dedicated lathe. It has a 3/4 hp motor. I have been turning on it almost daily, from bowls to boxes to goblets. I am impressed so far. In my opinion, based on using some different mini and midi lathes, the 10 is at least as good as mini or midi size lathes. Don't know about full size lathes (they are likely better) since the last time I used one was almost 50 years ago in high school.

Although my dedicated 10er lathe has some spindle runout and some vibration, it still performs fine. I know the spindle diameter is only 5/8" while the common diameter on mini/midi lathes is 1". However, I am not sure which is stronger, 5/8" solid or 1" hollow.

I did add the tool rest and tool post handles, purchased through Skip, and find that an excellent addition, making moving the tool rest much easier and quicker than using the allen wrench.

I find that the 3/4 hp motor is adequate. Even with aggressive deep bowl cuts, it has not bogged down. I do occasionally get speed changer belt slippage however on headstock belt when I get too agressive.

I like that the headstock moves to most anywhere on the rails. I do have live center (it looked new) that came with the 10.

I want to start a thread on the use of the 10 as a lathe. Comments such as pros and cons are very welcome. I will continue to update my experience with the 10 as a lathe. Hopefully, there will be lots of feedback on this thread.
Thanks.
rpd
Platinum Member

Re: 10er Dedicated Lathe Thread

Post by rpd »

Dansmith wrote:I have only had a 10er (actually 2) for less than a month now. I have one with a speed changer, set up as a dedicated lathe. It has a 3/4 hp motor. I have been turning on it almost daily, from bowls to boxes to goblets. I am impressed so far. In my opinion, based on using some different mini and midi lathes, the 10 is at least as good as mini or midi size lathes. Don't know about full size lathes (they are likely better) since the last time I used one was almost 50 years ago in high school.

Although my dedicated 10er lathe has some spindle runout and some vibration, it still performs fine. I know the spindle diameter is only 5/8" while the common diameter on mini/midi lathes is 1". However, I am not sure which is stronger, 5/8" solid or 1" hollow.

I did add the tool rest and tool post handles, purchased through Skip, and find that an excellent addition, making moving the tool rest much easier and quicker than using the allen wrench.

I find that the 3/4 hp motor is adequate. Even with aggressive deep bowl cuts, it has not bogged down. I do occasionally get speed changer belt slippage however on headstock belt when I get too aggressive.

I like that the headstock moves to most anywhere on the rails. I do have live center (it looked new) that came with the 10.

I want to start a thread on the use of the 10 as a lathe. Comments such as pros and cons are very welcome. I will continue to update my experience with the 10 as a lathe. Hopefully, there will be lots of feedback on this thread.
Thanks.
Great idea, :cool: :) this should be a fun thread. :)

Yes those handles are great, love mine. Do you have the early arm (set screw on side, or the later arm (set screw in the center)? I have both, but prefer the early style.

Have you seen the page Skip has on adjusting the speed changer and belt tension, might help with the belt slipping. http://mkctools.com/speed%20changer%20setup.htm

Please post some pictures of you turning projects.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
Dansmith
Gold Member

Post by Dansmith »

Thanks, Ron. My arms have the screw in the center. Thanks also for the link to Skip's page. I will study that later. I'll try to post up some photos when I can.
Dansmith
Gold Member

Post by Dansmith »

By the way, Ron, what are your thoughts on the 10er as a lathe? Looks like it's you and me so far on this thread. :D
moggymatt
Platinum Member

Post by moggymatt »

I've set up a 10er, dedicated as a lathe, in my insulated room in my garage. I think they are great. Haven't had the speed changer on it this summer as it worked the sheave nut off one day and I took it off for service and never needed to put it back on.
Was recently looking on Skips page for the slow speed kit but couldn't find it listed.

Wasn't it he who listed it?
Paul B
Dansmith
Gold Member

Post by Dansmith »

Paul, don't know who listed it; but, there is a Youtube video on the "Shopsmith 10er Slow Speed Kit".
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Dansmith wrote:By the way, Ron, what are your thoughts on the 10er as a lathe? Looks like it's you and me so far on this thread. :D
Like you my previous lathe experience was back in high school, almost fifty years ago.

That said, I think the 10er is a great lathe, :)

So far I have only turned small things, pens, a few weed pots, and a yarn ball holder.

I am sure there will be some others join in. ;)

Ron Dyck
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

moggymatt wrote:I've set up a 10er, dedicated as a lathe, in my insulated room in my garage. I think they are great. Haven't had the speed changer on it this summer as it worked the sheave nut off one day and I took it off for service and never needed to put it back on.
Was recently looking on Skips page for the slow speed kit but couldn't find it listed.

Wasn't it he who listed it?
It was made by Scott Grune who ran the Shopsmith10er web site, he posted on the Shopsmith10ERusers forum under the names intakexhaust, and carrera_lemans247, but he hasn't been active there for almost five years and his web page is no longer active.

I know ERlover had Skip machine a 5" drive pulley for him, to get slower speeds, and he was pleased with the results. So you could try that route.
Ron Dyck
Dansmith
Gold Member

Post by Dansmith »

Well Ron and Paul, this thread is a tremendous sucess. ;) ;) There are three of us now participating.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

I have been watching, but hadn't posted so now there are four.

Skip discusses a 10ER Motor Upgrade, tachometer etc. at http://mkctools.com/10ertreadmillmotor2.htm

Everett