set-up gauge position

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

set-up gauge position

Post by reible »

Hi,

I was working on a sketch of the 520 rails for a project I'm working on and noticed that I wasn't really sure how the alignment should be done.... When the gauge is in position is it sitting on the magnetic strip or is it on the ridge of the rail?

I've got the magnitic strip in red on the sketch and this applies only to the new parts with the magnetic strips...... (Shown sitting on the ridge)

Ed

[ATTACH]43[/ATTACH]
Attachments
shopsmith rails.jpg
shopsmith rails.jpg (10.33 KiB) Viewed 4579 times
dusty
Platinum Member

Set Up Gauge Position

Post by dusty »

You have asked a very good question and the answer may very well cause me to have to reinstall my front rails.

I have installed mine exactly as you have depicted in the above drawing. As a result, the bottom edge of my rip fence is not parallel to the table tops; it is about 3/32" higher in the front edge of the table than it is at the back edge of the table.

If the alignment gauge had been used in such a way that it contacted the front rail surface where the magnetic tape rests, the gap between the rip fence and the table top would be closer to equal when measured at the front and then at the rear of the table.

The rear rails are mounted correctly.

Does it really make a difference? I am inclined to say NO. The rip fence alignment is not affected and the 'fence lock' mechanism operates properly.

However, I am almost certain that I will end up reinstalling the front rails so as to obtain a near parallel relationship between the rip fence bottom surface and the table tops.

Incidently, what did you use to obtain this sketch? I want to see if I can convert it to an Autocad compatible file.

Platinum Member

Post by reible »

dustywoodworker,

The sketch is not ready for primetime...... but if you what to make one and you have a scanner it is easy to do... you simply put the part on the scanner then scan it in... take the image in to your cad program and lay lines on top of the bitmap..... when your done scale if needed and you're ready to go.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

OK looks like no one here knows the answer to this questions so I will have to drop a line to the good people at shopsmith and see what they have to say. If I get an answer other then it don't really matter I will post it.

Ed
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Reible did you ever get an answer to this question????
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The answer was something to the effect that no one had ever ask that question before and they would get back to me... that never happened.

Ed

Ed in Tampa wrote:Reible did you ever get an answer to this question????
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]