Harbor Freight Dust Collector?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Harbor Freight Dust Collector?

Post by JPG »

I think you will find that 'opening' it up will result in a major decrease in cfm.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

masonsailor2 wrote:I have been attempting to come up with a filter bag for the top of the unit that has very large pores to increase the air flow. I keep the unit in an exterior location and I don’t care if I blow a little dust out into the field. So far I have not been able to come up with a solution beyond the standard 5 micron bag. Does anyone have a possible solution ?
Paul

Hi Paul:
Burlap jumps to mind... Cheap, easy to cut and sew and porous.
Over 20 years in the shoe repair trade taught me the value of an occasional visit to the sewing and material department of stores. Even our Walmart has useful stuff like upholstery materials ect.
It wasn't all just about shoe soles and heels. Zippers were not a favorite work for me but I was good at it and repaired or replaced thousands of them in boots, purses and jackets. Color selection was weak from my wholesalers so I was a regular in fabric shops so I could get good matching replacements.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
Zeo
Bronze Member

Post by Zeo »

I am currently working on modifying the Harbor Freight 97869 model which is the one you are speaking of I believe. It was about $155 on sale with 20% off after taxes.

It was a great deal...although, I think you need to consider it incomplete when you first get it. I am adding the Wynn Environmental 35A cartridge filter (http://www.wynnenv.com/35A_series_cartridge_kit.htm) to it and also making a cheap modification of the Thien Baffle https://thehomedweller.com/best-dust-collectors/ That purple monster of Vaughn's is a Harbor Freight 97869 he has painted up. He has gotten excellent results allowing him to go weeks without even touching the filter, and when he does have to, he just shakes it or blows it with air externally to make sure the fines are not caking up on the inside which he says is so minimal he could go longer without touching it even.

The 35A filter is safer (.5-1 micron depending on the one you choose) and will increase your CFM capacity a bit over the 5 micron bag that the unit comes with originally. You may want to consider changing out the bag on your jet as well since 30 micron is not so good.

According to everyone I have talked to and everything I have read, these machines are the best bang for your buck when coupled wit
douglas17mr
Bronze Member

Post by douglas17mr »

Another idea which may have merit is to build a small enclosure for the dust collector and then vent the air back into the shop through a purifier. Do those purifiers have cfm that is close to 1750 cfm or better to match the dust collector ?
Did it help in your case ? What do you think about a regular air purification system and a specific one? I could discover dozens and dozens of websites, but this one, with all the related articles like home air quality test interested me with some advantages of those models. What do you think about it?
Last edited by douglas17mr on Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Doubtful a response is coming from a three year old post.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

douglas17mr wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:20 pm
Another idea which may have merit is to build a small enclosure for the dust collector and then vent the air back into the shop through a purifier. Do those purifiers have cfm that is close to 1750 cfm or better to match the dust collector ?

Did it help in your case ?
As JPG mentions this is an old thread so you may not get a response from the person who posted that comment. Do you have a specific question related to it? For example, what you commented on has two parts. One part of the comment was related to enclosing the dust collector, presumably to help with reducing sound levels in the shop. The second part of the comment relates to venting the dust collector exhaust back into the shop through a filter. For the 2nd part you can contact a company like Wynn Environmental, but I do believe they have HEPA filters that work with the airflow dust collectors exhaust out, e.g. they have filters often attached to commercial cyclones such as the ones sold by ClearVue Cyclones. You would want to verify that any filter selected can handle the high airflow (CFM) from a dust collector because if it can't then the filter can end up with holes torn in it resulting in leaks.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

One needs to be wary of first time responders to ancient post. :eek: ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

JPG wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:29 am One needs to be wary of first time responders to ancient post. :eek: ;)
Thanks JPG. I agree. I figured it was 75% chance a spammer, but 25% chance it was a legitimate post. I was posting in case of the latter.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Time WILL tell.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

propwash
Silver Member

Post by propwash »

Here's a video that Scott Markwood did on a comparison of the Harbor Freight and Home Depot dust collectors.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CsJQZFXPoo&t=652s