Harbor Freight Dust Collector?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Re: Harbor Freight Dust Collector?

Post by masonsailor2 »

I think he was referring to not using the corregated style flexible tubing.
Paul
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I have always been skeptical of folks who say it 'does not matter'. It HAS to!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

jsburger wrote:
skou wrote:
jsburger wrote:
Why?

The load on the motor is due to the air flow, the amount of air the blower is pulling. Block the air intake of a vacuum or any other air sucker. The noise gets louder. That is because the motor speeds up. Why? Because you have removed the load on the motor. No air going through the blower (the load) so the motor speeds up.

I know, nobody thinks of it that way for what ever reason but that is the way it is.

That is why more surface area of a filter means more air flow through the blower. That equates to a higher load on the motor.

One of the other things that nobody ever thinks about (really no reason to) is that the North Pole is magnetically north polarity. -WRONG- The North Pole is actually South magnetic polarity. Go Google it. You will find that the north pointing end of a compass needle is actually north polarity. That means that it is attracted to the opposite polarity, south.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Magnetic_Pole
John, the reason those motors speed up, when
the intake is blocked, stall. The impeller's
blades look (and work) like a wing. Too steep
a climb, (or less air) and the wing stalls.

Oh, liked the logic with the North Pole!

steve
OK, I guess that is a different way of explaining it that is even more confusing to the layman. That is what I said, no air, no load on the motor. Regardless, the point I was trying to make was that Hobbyman2 seemed to indicate that higher micron filters put a higher load on the motor. Not true.

That should be lower micron filters. As in 1 micron as opposed to 5 micron.
John, usually when a motor is stalled, it slows down,
or stops. Think of a car engine. Too much drag, it
slows down. Lawnmower, sewing machine, blender,
same result. Even too much drag on a saw blade.
(Or, anything else your Shopsmith is driving.)
Now, a vacuum cleaner, or anything else running
a fan blade, they speed up.

Don't make me get all "Reynolds Numbers" on you.
(Don't know, Google IS your friend.)

steve
10 ER, stripped down.
Basic 10ER, Parts machine. Will be a semi-dedicated drill-press machine.
10 ER, a "survivor" of the trailer fire, in the back yard, needing restoration. Has a Mk5 headrest. Finally, stripped down.
Numerous parts, for Model 10 stuff. Except for lower saw guard, A and B adapters, I've got it.

Looking for one more, or some 9 inch extension table raisers.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

JPG wrote:
robinson46176 wrote:
masonsailor2 wrote:One thing that I recently had to repair on my HF dust collector was the plastic ducting from the fan to the bag. Since mine melted in the Las Vegas sun I replaced it with metal ducting. I don’t have a way of measuring it but it seems to push more air now. The metal ducting is smooth on the inside and the plastic ducting was ribbed. That is the only difference but it is a noticeable improvement.
Paul

Hi Paul
Along those lines I tried a few years ago to use a 4" corrugated solid (no holes or slots) to move some warm (not hot) air from the old furnace I use as an air handler out to a part of the west wing that didn't have ducted air. I only tried using it because it was there through a "slither space" (only a cat could walk through it) and it had carried some wiring (TV, phone, computer etc.) through it. Once the wiring was removed after a change I tried it with air. Off of the furnace of course the air was just pushed by a normal squirrel cage blower, not a high pressure fan of any kind. Still I had pretty impressive output coming from the furnace but by the time it traveled around 30' through that corrugated pipe you could barely feel it coming out the other end... :eek: :rolleyes: In comparison there was another 4" metal line that ran from the same area of output in the same direction that just fed a register in a mud hall closet. Its only job was to dry damp work clothes hanging in that closet and to warm any cold air that came into the mud hall since the closet had louver doors on it. The difference was like night and day. The force of air coming out of that 4" metal line was maybe 10 times of that coming out of that corrugated line.
I expected a difference but I did not expect that kind of a difference. That was when I decided that my dust collection was all going to be in smooth wall pipe either metal or plastic (or some of both).
Corrugated duct??????
By the reference to "no holes or slots" I suspect he was trying to use corrugated plastic drain pipe, no doubt had some on hand. ;)
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

robinson46176 wrote:

Corrugated duct??????[/quote]

By the reference to "no holes or slots" I suspect he was trying to use corrugated plastic drain pipe, no doubt had some on hand. ;)[/quote]

Correct... I often use corrugated plastic drain pipe as a conduit for misc. stuff, especially water lines etc. Makes it easy to change things as things change. :cool: I use it for electric lines instead of direct bury when burying deep because I can always pull another line or remove one. If shallow bury I use rigid iron conduit for mechanical protection. That is usually on very short runs. Magic happens here on this farm. If I need a line installed I just show our son where I want it and soon a size appropriate piece of excavating equipment appears and the line is magically installed... :) He is a keeper... He is a supervisor for a company that does contract installation work for Indianapolis Power and Light. Much of it new housing development trunk lines.
I would never have installed that pipe in the house for air movement but hey, it was there and now empty. I thought it was worth a try. :) My whole point here was just stating how horrible it was as an air movement duct compared to a smooth steel duct the same size. I assume that in say an 8" size that the turbulence would / might have been less of a factor?
Anywho, I will be using that plastic drainage pipe to carefully pull an 8" insulated flexible air duct through that slither space to replace it.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

I have been attempting to come up with a filter bag for the top of the unit that has very large pores to increase the air flow. I keep the unit in an exterior location and I don’t care if I blow a little dust out into the field. So far I have not been able to come up with a solution beyond the standard 5 micron bag. Does anyone have a possible solution ?
Paul
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

masonsailor2 wrote:I have been attempting to come up with a filter bag for the top of the unit that has very large pores to increase the air flow. I keep the unit in an exterior location and I don’t care if I blow a little dust out into the field. So far I have not been able to come up with a solution beyond the standard 5 micron bag. Does anyone have a possible solution ?
Paul
If it's outside, and you don't mind it blowing dust, why not reconfigure it to not even use a filter?
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I have not done it yet but my HF 2 HP will be blowing everything outside into a grove of trees that is only about 25' from the house. Of course I have no close neighbors. One of our daughters lives about 300+ feet to the south and our son lives about a quarter mile to the north at that end of the farm. The north side is where the wooded spot is.
I keep seeing comments about losing heated or cooled air but I have never found that to be a significant problem. I blew sanding dust air out of shoe shops for 20 years on a daily production basis and never saw it as a real factor. My blower had a 6" inlet and a 7" outlet which I reduced to 6" to keep it simple. It moved a lot of air. Even if it does increase cost of heat and air a bit I can heat and cool a lot of air for the amounts of money I keep seeing mentioned in discussions about filtering equipment and supplies being used to avoid a little extra heating and cooling cost. I just read a discussion somewhere today where a guy mentioned spending about $2,000 on filtering stuff... :eek:
If I had closer neighbors on that side, say maybe 60' to 100' away I would probably just use a large cyclone in the shop but all of the fine stuff would go outside.
I have that 2 HP HF unit but I also have a Penn State 1.5 HP unit acquired kind of by accident. I was not in the market. It belonged to a co-worker of our son. He was getting a divorce and moving. No room for it. Like new. Only wanted $50. for it. How could I say no? :rolleyes: :p As far as suction goes I can't tell a nickels worth of difference in them. I just figured that the Chinese makers of the HF one "stretched" their HP number more. :rolleyes: :)

On a related note I'm going to park a link here about table saw dust collection. I have not studied it closely yet but it looked pretty interesting... I'm always looking for an idea to steal. :)
http://woodarchivist.com/3734-table-saw ... ollection/

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

I did try just blowing it out but I ended up with a blanket of sawdust around the shop and then a wind picked up and of course it was exactly the right direction and blew a large part of it at the house. The boss was not happy. I am thinking of trying a mesh made of window screen which will filter all the big stuff out and increase the flow.
Paul
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

I'm getting close to finishing the main dust collector unit, but I have a question. Here is the assembly mocked up.
20180302_143019_edited.png
20180302_143019_edited.png (690.82 KiB) Viewed 16331 times
From bottom up... barell, lower plywood ring with thein baffle, dust collector center ring/seperator, upper plywood ring, and then the impeller/motor assembly.

Would it be best to leave the original 5" inlet plate on the impeller, or open it up with the larger hole in the plywood ring?
20180302_143113_edited.png
20180302_143113_edited.png (875.02 KiB) Viewed 16331 times
20180302_142917_edited.png
20180302_142917_edited.png (830.35 KiB) Viewed 16331 times
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration