Harbor Freight Dust Collector?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

AEA
Gold Member

Re: Harbor Freight Dust Collector?

Post by AEA »

Scott's comparison was on separators not collectors.
Stumpy Nubs did a video on improving the HF dust collector. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru0owrbfoLo&t=21s
And a great way to empty the bag. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oosMqnORR6k&t=197s

I'm wanting to put a dust collector in my garage/shop and shy away from HF stuff generally. I was looking at Rocklers 1250 wall mount, Grizzly's 2 horse power on a stand and some Jets, PowerMattics, Shop Fox, etc.

After watching Stumpy's video, I started trying to find one from HF. For the horse power and cfms running on 110 instead of having to put in 220 for most of the others. Much, much cheaper. But right now they are not to be found. I called HF and they are out online and most stores. They were expected the 27th of October but the stock they had coming is sitting on a ship somewhere off the West Coast. I already bought the Wyn filter he recommended. It cost more than the list price for the dust collector.
AEA
Gold Member

Post by AEA »

Last I was looked the HF dust collector wouldn't be available until March (maybe). I bought a 1250 CFM 1.5 hp General International refurbished from eBay for $300. I also put on the canister filter that Stumpy suggested.
Wow what a difference, Ive tried different vacuum setups with and without separators and never been too happy with the results. I cut plywood, mdf, and fir. I even ran some fir through the jointer. Wow what a difference! Happy guy and have a happy wife.
(she seems to think it's her garage too and not just my shop). 🤔
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

A quick look online at Harborfreight's site suggests that they aren't available until May. The site says "available online by May 27".
https://www.harborfreight.com/2-hp-indu ... +collector
AEA
Gold Member

Post by AEA »

Yikes.
Glad I got the General International.
john_001
Gold Member

Post by john_001 »

FWIW, I've heard that if you already have the HF DC, it's worth upgrading it; but that buying one with the intention of upgrading it may not be cost-effective.
Calixto
Bronze Member

Post by Calixto »

Dust, it is very bad as it can cause allergic reactions. Therefore, it should always be kept clean. However, there is not always time for cleaning. Recently, a friend of mine recommended me to read about house cleaning in Edmonds wa. I was interested in this idea as it is quite convenient. What do you think about such services?
Last edited by Calixto on Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.