Drill Press only shorty

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

farley
Platinum Member

Re: Drill Press only shorty

Post by farley »

picked up another SS so going to go over it and then cut the pipes. Here at xerocraft---https://www.xerocraft.org/index.php--we have a horizontal metal band saw, so that won't be an issue.
Thinking ahead, I think the biggest challenge will be once I put the headstock on while in the horizontal position, will be lifting it upright.

j
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

farley wrote:picked up another SS so going to go over it and then cut the pipes. Here at xerocraft---https://www.xerocraft.org/index.php--we have a horizontal metal band saw, so that won't be an issue.
Thinking ahead, I think the biggest challenge will be once I put the headstock on while in the horizontal position, will be lifting it upright.

j

Stick a pole/pipe in the way tube and lift on that.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

farley wrote:picked up another SS so going to go over it and then cut the pipes. Here at xerocraft---https://www.xerocraft.org/index.php--we have a horizontal metal band saw, so that won't be an issue.

j
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M30uvwZdLmE[/youtube]
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
farley
Platinum Member

Post by farley »

well the scissor jack seems to be a good fix.

loved the video.
thanks
j
farley
Platinum Member

Post by farley »

why is all your guys SS with the quill control on the right with action toward the table, while mine

while on the right the quill action goes up.

if I flip it to make the quill correct, I have the quill handle on the left.

ok after looking at it at lot, I flipped it so the quill works in the proper direction, but the handle is on the left.

did you guys flip the quill handle and lock and didn't tell me. Ha Ha

the thing is heavy and awkward when working by yourself in the Tucson 100 degree weather--I had to step back and look.
thanks for all your help
Attachments
backward.jpg
backward.jpg (140.32 KiB) Viewed 21020 times
backward but.jpg
backward but.jpg (123.24 KiB) Viewed 21012 times
Last edited by farley on Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Skizzity
Gold Member

Re: RE: Re: Drill Press only shorty

Post by Skizzity »

farley wrote:why is all your guys SS with the quill control on the right with action toward the table, while mine

while on the right the quill action goes up.

if I flip it to make the quill correct, I have the quill handle on the left.
The quill lever is reversible. You can twist the handle to remove it an reattach on the other side.
PowerPro Mark 7, 11" Bandsaw, 4" Jointer, 12" Professional Planer, DC3300 Dust Collector, DW745, DW718 w/ DW723 and a DW788 w/ DW7880.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. -Winston Churchill
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

The headstock definitely needs to be mounted with the quill facing down.

The quill advance lever can be mounted on either end of the shaft depending on your preference.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
farley
Platinum Member

Post by farley »

thanks I edit my last post to reflect my A-ha moment.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Since this is a 'dedicated' drill press, get the three handle hub. :cool:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Why? I have one and it remains in the storage cabinet. I don't care for it at all.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.