Age Range of Shopsmith Users

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

What's your age?

75+
1%
75+
10%
75+
13%
75+
25%
75+
32%
75+
16%
75+
3%

Total votes: 386

ericolson
Gold Member

Post by ericolson »

Out of curiosity, I'm wondering what our age demographic is. I'm not sure how to post a poll and get the bargraph showing age breakdowns, so I'm hoping someone more computer/forum literate can help me out. I'm thinking age ranges of:

18-25
26-35
36-45
46-55
56-65
66-75
76+

Eric
who is currently 38, wishes he was still 25, feels 90 (no offense meant to any 90+ Shopsmithers out there :D )
...and just figured out how to submit a poll!!
ericolson
Gold Member

Post by ericolson »

It's interesting to see that the majority of the owners participating in the poll are in the upper age brackets. I would've thought that the bulk of owners would've been in the middle age groups. Does Shopsmith specifically target older folks in its marketing because older folks have more established, and higher, incomes? Or is it something as simple as people closer to retirement, or retired, are making their dreams come true and/or are buying they've always had their eye on but never had the time/money to get until now?

Eric
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Or could it be that once we were younger and got our shopsmith 30 years ago? Maybe another poll asking at what age you were when you got your first shopsmith.........

Ed
ericolson
Gold Member

Post by ericolson »

Hmmm... I think another poll is in order...
rocke1
Gold Member

Post by rocke1 »

Older woodworkers find the table size and height saves a good bit of reach and bending over. My Mark V is 17 years old and every year I age it is better and better. With the lift kit the last great hurdle is overcome.

Rock
ericolson
Gold Member

Post by ericolson »

I would concur with your comments, however, I'm kind of short. The table height can be bothersome for me at times. At 5'6" the table is usually just below chest level when cutting 3/4" stock. If something feels unsafe, I'll turn to my stand alone table saw instead. I haven't a need for a lift assist (yet). I sure would've liked when I was using a 10ER. Those things are heavy!

Eric
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

I would concur with your comments, however, I'm kind of short.
The politically correct term is "vertically challenged". :)
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

We can look at the list of persons (not necessarily users) on the members list; it becomes apparent that a very small percentage of this list has participated in this poll. That tells me that the size of the sample is insuffient to draw any valid conclusions.

I would suggest that the poll says something more about those of us who spend time viewing this forum than it does about SS users in general. Many of the viewers never comment. I wish I knew how to change that; we need to hear from those people. They have a lot to offer this forum if just they would.

When I was 25-30 (maybe even 30-35) I wouldn't spend much time reading about others opinions, problems or solutions. I had enough of my own.

All of that having been said: I have had a SS (at my disposal or that I owned) since I was 29. I am now 67. I have cut more board feet of lumber in the last five years than I did the rest of the time I've had the SS. I was laid up for a good part of the time with the after effects of knee surgury. Now that is behind me and I expect to make even more saw dust over the next two or three years.

Why? Because I have kids and grandkids that have established a long list of requests for items to be built. Before Christmas, my grandsons and I had to schedule who was going to have priority in the shop. Incidently, I worked nights to get my Christmas projects done.

Silver Member

Yet another poll

Post by thewriteturn »

I just turned fifty, and have had my SS since 1983. Going on 24 years, WOW. Have not had much trouble with it either. Been lucky and was able to fix or replace any part that needed it. For the first 15-20 yrs only used it basically for jobs around the house. Now I do lathe work, scrollsaw, and make A&C style furniture. As for another poll what got you started wood woking? For me my parents bought a 2 family house and I got drafted to help my dad remodel the down stairs apartment. Didn't get to use any power tools but that definetly got the juices going. Wish he was around now, I could use a helper every now and then.:rolleyes:
Attachments
sofa1 (512 x 384).jpg
sofa1 (512 x 384).jpg (62.01 KiB) Viewed 3562 times
scottss
Gold Member

Post by scottss »

I'll be fifty in about a month, I have had my shopsmith for only a few years although I had been looking at them for more than twenty years. I sold all most all of my stand alone tools (drill press, contractor table saw, and band saw) and upgraded to a used shopsmith (1960) only to buy another one (1980) and have upgrade it to a 510 and upgraded my ss bandsaw. Next is to upgrade my jointer. I would be curious to see what the polls say about 500, 510 & 520 also accessories.