PDF of shopsmith 555653 fence

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

AKTroy
Silver Member

PDF of shopsmith 555653 fence

Post by AKTroy »

Anyone have a PDF of the shopsmith 555653 fence? I'd like to build one for my jointer, and need the specifics.

Thanks!

Troy
Attachments
DSCF2030sc.jpg
DSCF2030sc.jpg (56.44 KiB) Viewed 12261 times
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: PDF of shopsmith 555653 fence

Post by dusty »

AKTroy wrote:Anyone have a PDF of the shopsmith 555653 fence? I'd like to build one for my jointer, and need the specifics.

Thanks!

Troy
Sorry! I can't help with a PDF but even if I could what I have is unlike what you show in this image. The holes in mine are completely different (just different vintage, I am sure).

But since you are making your own I would suggest that you just make it to meet your own personal needs. Why copy the Shopsmith design?

However, if this will help I have attached a sketch of mine:
Jointer Fence Extension.png
Jointer Fence Extension.png (34.85 KiB) Viewed 12239 times
The thru holes (7) are all 5/16". The counter bores (3) are 9/16" and are bored 3/8" deep.

The small holes (4) have threaded inserts.

In your image, the row of small holes are presumably for feather boards. As for the upper row of counter bores holes, I have no idea.

The upper counter bore in my sketch has never been used. I don't know what it is for.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
damagi
Platinum Member

Post by damagi »

What hardware did it come with (nuts, bolts, sliding t-nuts)? Mine didn't come with a manual, but I would like to gather the rest of the parts for it.

Thanks!
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

damagi wrote:What hardware did it come with (nuts, bolts, sliding t-nuts)? Mine didn't come with a manual, but I would like to gather the rest of the parts for it.

Thanks!
I'm not sure who you are directing the question to but mine came with two bolts and nuts to attach the extension table to the jointer table and that is all.

The hardware that I have for the feather boards all came with the feather boards (except that which has been lost somewhere in the shop and ultimately replaced). I do a lot of that.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
AKTroy
Silver Member

Post by AKTroy »

dusty wrote:
AKTroy wrote:Anyone have a PDF of the shopsmith 555653 fence? I'd like to build one for my jointer, and need the specifics.

Thanks!

Troy
Sorry! I can't help with a PDF but even if I could what I have is unlike what you show in this image. The holes in mine are completely different (just different vintage, I am sure).

But since you are making your own I would suggest that you just make it to meet your own personal needs. Why copy the Shopsmith design?

However, if this will help I have attached a sketch of mine:

Jointer Fence Extension.png

The thru holes (7) are all 5/16". The counter bores (3) are 9/16" and are bored 3/8" deep.

The small holes (4) have threaded inserts.

In your image, the row of small holes are presumably for feather boards. As for the upper row of counter bores holes, I have no idea.

The upper counter bore in my sketch has never been used. I don't know what it is for.
Thank you. Just what I was after! I was not sure what the top holes were for either, but I think for the table saw fence. Maybe you flip it?

Troy
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

AKTroy wrote:Thank you. Just what I was after! I was not sure what the top holes were for either, but I think for the table saw fence. Maybe you flip it?

Troy
They would be for the featherboards. :)

see the picture in the link. http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... ncekit.htm
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

rpd wrote:
AKTroy wrote:Thank you. Just what I was after! I was not sure what the top holes were for either, but I think for the table saw fence. Maybe you flip it?

Troy
They would be for the featherboards. :)

see the picture in the link. http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... ncekit.htm
I think I disagree. The feather boards mount in the holes with threaded inserts (the center roll of holes). The holes in the upper row are all counter bored (bolt comes out the back side.

HELP! Somebody with a newer fence extension than mine.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

dusty wrote:I think I disagree. The feather boards mount in the holes with threaded inserts (the center roll of holes). The holes in the upper row are all counter bored (bolt comes out the back side.

HELP! Somebody with a newer fence extension than mine.
Right you are. :o I was looking at your drawing and not the picture.

According to Nick, (1:53 in the video) the axillary fence was sold for use on both the jointer and table saw fences, One presumes when used on the table saw fence the flat side would go to the bottom, and those holes would be used to attach to the fence.

In the video he uses them to attach an out feed table to the jointer.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxAd-t2VBV0[/youtube]
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I have to say that picture looks mighty familiar. Maybe because it was taken in my garage?

Did we get all the questions answered or do I need to dig out my paper work?

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

reible wrote:I have to say that picture looks mighty familiar. Maybe because it was taken in my garage?

Did we get all the questions answered or do I need to dig out my paper work?

Ed
I think so, except for the holes etc. thee added and for what purpose.

I think verification of 'guesses' above would be 'nice'. :)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange