Shopsmith Vac 4 in adaptor

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rbenstead
Gold Member

Shopsmith Vac 4 in adaptor

Post by rbenstead »

Has anyone have a picture of the 4 in adaptor for the DC3300 that was offered years ago? You removed the 2 1/2 in collector box and installed this adaptor. I have a extra vac that I would like to attach a 4 in hose to my only soul tool with a 4 in dust port. I know about the octopus that was shown on the the sawdust sessions. Not interested in that. Hoping that I could make one if possible.
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith Vac 4 in adaptor

Post by JPG »

rbenstead wrote:Has anyone have a picture of the 4 in adaptor for the DC3300 that was offered years ago? You removed the 2 1/2 in collector box and installed this adaptor. I have a extra vac that I would like to attach a 4 in hose to my only soul tool with a 4 in dust port. I know about the octopus that was shown on the the sawdust sessions. Not interested in that. Hoping that I could make one if possible.
There is a good reason the 4" adapter is 'scarce'. It simply did not function as intended. 3" seems to be an upper limit that insures sufficient velocity.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rbenstead
Gold Member

Post by rbenstead »

Ok, I'll buy that. But to answer my question, does anyone have a picture of it?
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

If you unscrew the plastic 3 port front, you will find a 4 inch inlet.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

rbenstead
Gold Member

Post by rbenstead »

I'm aware of that. But standard 4 in dust collector fittings are a tad smaller. And standard PVC pipe is to large. There was a fitting that was attached to the front using the four screws that held on the 2 1/2 in port fitting. I remember seeing a picture of it years ago. But can't remember what it looks like.
shopsmithpaul
Gold Member

Post by shopsmithpaul »

See if this picture works
Attachments
4 inch adapter
4 inch adapter
pic1.jpg (609.39 KiB) Viewed 20063 times
4 inch adapter
4 inch adapter
pic2.jpg (460.67 KiB) Viewed 20063 times
510, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, jointmatic
rbenstead
Gold Member

Post by rbenstead »

Thanks! that's what I needed.
shopsmithpaul
Gold Member

Post by shopsmithpaul »

Glad that worked. Old picks from when I sold it on ebay.
shopsmithpaul
Gold Member

Post by shopsmithpaul »

If I remember the elbo was schedule 80 pipe.
rbenstead
Gold Member

Post by rbenstead »

For those that may be wondering why I have the interest in this adaptor I'll give some experience that I had. I have had Shopsmiths for over 50 years. And own about every SPT that Shopsmith has ever made over the years. As you know, they all have 2 1/2 in ports on the more current attachments. The DC3300 vac does a So So job. I retired the DC3300 for a Oneida Cobra. They have higher static pressure. This is great for smaller hoses.It is designed for Industrial floor sanding and central vac systems designed with 2 1/2 in hose up to 100 ft with very little loss. This turns dust collection on Shopsmith a total dream. Even the table saw! I only have one tool with a 4 in port. A Performax 16-32 sanding drum. So I Jury-rid a 8 ft long 4 in flex hose to the DC3300 and to the sanding drum. WoW! it took care of all the fine dust that they produce. So since the Oneida is such a Gem for the other tools I want a more permanent 4 in attachment connection on the DC3300 to use with the sander.