Replacing jointer knives

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mindpilot
Gold Member

Replacing jointer knives

Post by mindpilot »

A couple years ago the traveling academy instructor--IIRC it was Doug Reid--had a cool jig he'd made to take much of the tedium out of aligning the jointer knives.

Does anyone have info on that? I can't for the life of me find those notes.:confused:
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Was it a board size of jointer table with two rare earth magnets
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

Spike (one of our three traveling academy instructors) has a cool jig, and I know he lurks around this forum. Maybe we can beg him to join in. Come on, Spike. I'll send you a case of your favorite motor oil.

With all good wishes,
ericolson
Gold Member

Post by ericolson »

Could be a jig called a Jointer Pal. I've got one and love it. Don't use it often, but when I need it, I need it. Actually, it couldn't be a Jointer Pal as it's a manufactured item, not a jig. I've been helping chad93gt over in the beginning woodworking forum figure out how to use his jointer. I just left a post explaining knife changing procedures and the use of either a steel straightedge or using a Jointer Pal.
Eric
Rock Creek Designs

Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat!
dusty
Platinum Member

Replacing Jointer Knives

Post by dusty »

If the jig that is being discussed here is simply a platform that sits on the jointer table and has a pair of rare earth magnetics that hold the jointer knives in a fix location for reinstallation (after having been removed for sharpening), it is in the Shopsmith truck in Tucson, AZ. Rick Davis spoke briefly about its use during the Traveling Academy session in Tucson this week.

Incidently, if you haven't particiated in a Traveling Academy session, you have missed out on a very informative, interesting and enjoyable experience. I just finished the three day session here in Tucson and am looking forward to another opportunity to do it again. Rick is the only Shopsmith instructor that I have had the pleasure of meeting but he is phenominal.

Glass

Post by rcoder »

I made mine out of a piece of glass. Haven't broken it yet. The magnets are glued to the top side and with marks on the bottom side alignment is a cinch. I saw this on somebody's site some time ago.

I too was at Rick's sessions and thoroughly enjoyed them.

Bob Coder
chiroindixon
Gold Member

Got a picture?

Post by chiroindixon »

I worked to make a jig from Doug's plans but I think the glass or plastic might be better....

Bob....can you post a picture?

Doc
dusty
Platinum Member

Replacing Jointer Knives

Post by dusty »

Doc

Would you consider posting the documentation that you have. This jig looked really neat and I'm kicking myself for not paying more attention. I should have taken notes and photos myself.

Gold Member

I'll Look

Post by chiroindixon »

Okay Dusty.....Now you have given me challenge.....finding that plan from Doug.

And.....just to show you that soldiers will do favors for flyers......I'm on it.

If it doesn't show up, I'll message you a description.

Doc
rcoder
Gold Member

Glass

Post by rcoder »

No time to do a drawing or photo. I am doing birding tours at noon today through Sun. as part of our Wings over Willcox birding festival.

Cut a piece of glass or find an appropriate size from a photo frame. Single strength is more fragile than double. Got to your scrap or RS and get two fairly strong magnets. Remember they will be above the blades the thickness of the glass.

Using a Sharpie or diamond scribe draw a line where you want the blade to be attracted. Glue the magnets on that line. Make marks on the jointer to rotate the blades into consistent positions and one to put the plate on so that is also consistent. Magnets are on top side line on bottom side.

I have a small Delta so the glass must leave room for me to get a wrench into the jam nuts.

Hope this does the job.

Bob Coder

I would avoid plastic as it would flex unless it is fairly thick and then the magnetic attraction would be reduced.