Tailstock extension

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rdgrnstd
Gold Member

Tailstock extension

Post by rdgrnstd »

I needed a longer bed and came up with this. Worked fine.
Attachments
20190527_142931.jpg
20190527_142931.jpg (492.9 KiB) Viewed 25271 times
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Re: Tailstock extension

Post by wa2crk »

I don't know if your design would be stout enough if the work is not very well balanced. I would install some diagonal braces from the ectension arm to the bar stock at the hinge end to avoid any twisting caused by heavier work pieces. It looks to be adequate for the size of the piece you have mounted in the pic.
Bill V
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

wa2crk wrote:I don't know if your design would be stout enough if the work is not very well balanced. I would install some diagonal braces from the ectension arm to the bar stock at the hinge end to avoid any twisting caused by heavier work pieces. It looks to be adequate for the size of the piece you have mounted in the pic.
Bill V
I agree. I would like to see a much heavier piece of angle iron on the cross piece welded to the posts in the SS end hinge. It looks like a bent sheet steel angle. Otherwise very ingenious.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
rdgrnstd
Gold Member

Post by rdgrnstd »

Thanks for looking Guys.
You are right it probably would not hold up to a lot of heavy turning but..
This was a quick one time thing . Only had 4 post to turn and it worked great for what
I wanted.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

rdgrnstd wrote:I needed a longer bed and came up with this. Worked fine.
I notice that the extension doesn’t have provisions for a tool rest. Did you reverse the workpiece end-for-end to turn the outboard end? Or was it left square?
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

I like it. Similar to how standalone lathes have extension beds that can be added for increased length or girth. I don't think I have seen anyone attempt this on a Shopsmith before. For longer turnings they either replace the waytubes with longer tubes or even put 2 Shopsmiths back to back. To me, your idea is following what a standalone lathe has with an extension bed.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
rdgrnstd
Gold Member

Post by rdgrnstd »

It was mostly square but i needed to reverse the piece to turn about a foot each end.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

I have no metalworking experience, but just wanted to check on the welds that you show in the picture (so please take these comments with a grain of salt). It looks like you tacked the corners of each joint, correct? Are you going to finish welding the entire seam of all the joints? I ask because the forces involved in woodturning can be rather high, especially with a large post as you showed. I just don't want it to come apart on you during a turning. Do you think the joints are strong enough with just tacking?
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

RFGuy wrote:I have no metalworking experience, but just wanted to check on the welds that you show in the picture (so please take these comments with a grain of salt). It looks like you tacked the corners of each joint, correct? Are you going to finish welding the entire seam of all the joints? I ask because the forces involved in woodturning can be rather high, especially with a large post as you showed. I just don't want it to come apart on you during a turning. Do you think the joints are strong enough with just tacking?
Did you read the OPs following posts? He said this was a one time project.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

dusty wrote:
RFGuy wrote:I have no metalworking experience, but just wanted to check on the welds that you show in the picture (so please take these comments with a grain of salt). It looks like you tacked the corners of each joint, correct? Are you going to finish welding the entire seam of all the joints? I ask because the forces involved in woodturning can be rather high, especially with a large post as you showed. I just don't want it to come apart on you during a turning. Do you think the joints are strong enough with just tacking?
Did you read the OPs following posts? He said this was a one time project.
Yeah, I saw that. I just wanted to ask the question to the OP, or anyone else on the forum who is an experienced metalworker. I like the idea that he showed of this extension, but just wondering if someone wanted it for full time use, how they might make it more robust, i.e. what Bill and John pointed out for it it already.

Longer waytubes might be the better solution, but if someone only needs to occasionally turn a longer item like this...and they are okay with flipping the turning since the tool rest won't reach to the end, then this might be a good fast and simple solution to add a bed extension. Of course, you would need to be able to weld to fabricate it, but if you already own a welder this should be a cheap solution.
📶RF Guy