Inspirational workshop layout

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Inspirational workshop layout

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

If you're like me, and need to make better use of available workshop space, this video should inspire you. The guy has a well-equipped and useable power-tool workshop in a 8' x 6' outbuilding!

It's made possible by outstanding organization. I think the guy must have made his living as a lean-manufacturing consultant ... or maybe he's just an unusually-talented natural neat-freak.

It's also an exceptionally well-done video. Check it out:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCtRWwvGHeY[/youtube]
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Re: Inspirational workshop layout

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Great video! Thanks for sharing it.
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

Very cool video. Wow, I thought I was obsessive about organization !!
Paul
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Me too! I have a drawer for screwdrivers and another for wrenches and still another for hammers, etc. Absolutely obsessive! My only problem is "Which drawer to look in".
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

dusty wrote:Me too! I have a drawer for screwdrivers and another for wrenches and still another for hammers, etc. Absolutely obsessive! My only problem is "Which drawer to look in".
Drop a hint that you would like a label maker for Christmas, :) one that does large print. ;)
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Eff that guy. He makes me feel bad about myself. :mad: :rolleyes: :D
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Interesting and impressive but not me... I would love to be a little more organized but if I "had" to function like that I would probably either quit woodworking or put a gun to my head... :rolleyes:

My life is far too full and my interest far too broad to even consider working like that.

I was always an organization nut at work but not in my home shops.
My wood shop and my farm shop are fairly organized as far as tools go, its just all of that excess "STUFF" that is in the shops that make them look a bit of a mess.

Different strokes for different folks. :)

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Perhaps his surname is Studley. :rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:Perhaps his surname is Studley. :rolleyes:

:D :D :D
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

JPG wrote:Perhaps his surname is Studley. :rolleyes:
Interesting analogy. If you think about it, his workshop is his tool chest. And he works inside of it.

I noticed that the workshop was lacking a couple of things that I take for granted in my own shop: storage for lumber, and storage for finishing supplies and other chemicals. I suspect he keeps that stuff somewhere else.

The video did give me a new appreciation for french-cleat organization. I sheathed my own workshop walls with white pegboard, which is pretty versatile. But while you can easily move individual tools, relocating an entire group of tools is a PITA, and so it rarely happens. And it’s harder to get more than one layer of tools on the wall, so you can’t use the space as efficiently.

I do have some pegboard brackets that would let me hang entire tool-organizer modules, much like a french cleat. You install one of the brackets at each end of of the organizer, and insert them into the pegboard holes to hang it. But if there happens to be a stud behind the pegboard where you want to hang it - at either end of the module - it won’t mount in that location.

But there’s nothing to stop me from putting french cleats on top of my pegboard walls.

My biggest problem is that I have a bunch of stuff in my workshop that really doesn’t need to be there. Job one is to get that stuff moved somewhere else, or get rid of it.