Today in the shop (new project is in the planning stage)

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: Today in the shop (new project is in the planning stage)

Post by Hobbyman2 »

the router system is impressive , now days it seems every thing is blue tooth .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Ed,

Looks like your cubby design turned out excellent. I like the ability to re-configure it as tools, storage needs change. Ron Paulk posted a new video today and his mobile workshop has a cubby system very similar to yours. Great minds think alike!

https://youtu.be/XAZ-DGQcONQ?t=508
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Just enough time today to cut the material to width for two more units. That amounts to 6 pieces of MDF and 6 of the std boards. Got to 41 degrees so I went for it since we have been below freezing since Sunday night.

Today I went to the PGS or Parallel Guide System from Woodpecker. I'll show you a few details and if you are interested there are plenty of information out for you to find if you are so inclined.

This is the system in imperial (I also have the metric tracks for it). They designed the systainer to require you to disassemble the main body brackets from the rails which then requires you to re-zero each time you put it back together. I have found it will sort of fit with out taking it apart each time, thus the reason it is packed as shown and not as intended.
wp1.jpg
wp1.jpg (209.41 KiB) Viewed 13885 times
Since it has been a while since I last used this and I don't recall which track it had been on last etc etc I did a quick check to make sure it still was aligned.
wp2.jpg
wp2.jpg (153.72 KiB) Viewed 13885 times
Then each of the tab stops are set to the dimension you want to cut.
wp3.jpg
wp3.jpg (102.65 KiB) Viewed 13885 times
Then you place the track dictated by the tab stops and start cutting.
wp4.jpg
wp4.jpg (206.76 KiB) Viewed 13885 times
I did check to make sure the cut was where I wanted it with a tape measure just as a second check.

For this project like a lot of this sort of work it doesn't really need to be "right" on, so long as all the parts are the same. Here one could be off by a 1/16" and it really wouldn't matter.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

That is a very cool system. Everything they make is so well made. I am yearning for a set of their rules. The storage system is very nice also !
Paul
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Had a little break in the weather yesterday and took advantage of it. I had cut the parts to width (or depth depending on how you look at it) previously so now it was just a matter of cutting to length. I had decided to make 2 more of these giving me a total of three. I will got from there depending on how well I like how they are working out. Something will just do better in a container while others will do fine in this system.

The longest part of the time is doing the dados, but I think I like the spacing idea so you do what you have to do. That means doing 22 * 4 dados (88).
she1.jpg
she1.jpg (223.61 KiB) Viewed 13757 times
I then did the 4 ends and another bunch of the uprights, 24 if I remember right.
she2.jpg
she2.jpg (158.01 KiB) Viewed 13757 times
One of the ends slipped out of my hand, yea getting old I guess and of course landed on a corner.........
she3.jpg
she3.jpg (78.9 KiB) Viewed 13757 times
I could make a new part but hey this is a garage shelf project so I will make do with the damage, just stick it on the outside so it doesn't interfere.

Now if I can get another dry warmer day to put it together.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

With three of these in use I am even more convinced that this is the right idea for my shop. I just made a forth and expect at least one more, maybe two or who knows maybe more then that.

I was looking forward to trying out my new 1010 router. I found that I like it even more then expected. The downward force to plunge is less and I found that I could make a pass with just holding the plunge down rather then locking it. This saves a lot of time.

The attachment to the guide rail is different but worked just as well as the other system I have for the 1400.
RT.jpg
RT.jpg (149.05 KiB) Viewed 11178 times
This is still a bit of job doing all these dado's but worth it in the end.
PH1.jpg
PH1.jpg (205.7 KiB) Viewed 11178 times
I have not cut any new dividers, these are extras from the other builds. I have the material so it not a big deal but still another project I need to do to finish things up.
PH.jpg
PH.jpg (186.33 KiB) Viewed 11178 times
Right now the glue is drying. The bigger effort is cleaning off another shelf and dealing with that until things are back together. I still have things that were displaced from the other shelf units so this is an on going process.

Ed
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

Glad you are enjoying your 1010, I know I have with mine. Very light but powerful.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I got another batch of dividers done today so now I just have to do the hard part and clean off another shelf and figure out which one is the least of a pain to do. Good reason to put it off for another day.

I don't recall mentioning that while the first unit dado's was done with an 1/8" bit I found it way to hard to slide some of the dividers in and out, well most of them. So the rest of the units I went to a 5/32" bit. They are a lot looser but at least it reasonable to slide them in and out with out the strain of the too tight fit.

Maybe one day I will take you on a tour of the units so you can see the eclectic nature of my storage.

At this point I think I've finished tell you all that I can about this so unless I come up with some unfinished details I think this is the last post in this thread unless I do the tour.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

This is my first pass at how shelf 4 will be used. I will just post the pictures and if you want/need more details let me know. I just pulled the things out of the cubbyhole and shot the picture.
p1v.jpg
p1v.jpg (133.69 KiB) Viewed 11100 times
p2v.jpg
p2v.jpg (153.64 KiB) Viewed 11100 times
p3v.jpg
p3v.jpg (153.14 KiB) Viewed 11100 times
p4v.jpg
p4v.jpg (147.65 KiB) Viewed 11100 times
p5v.jpg
p5v.jpg (131.34 KiB) Viewed 11100 times
p6v.jpg
p6v.jpg (149.38 KiB) Viewed 11100 times
p7v.jpg
p7v.jpg (145.43 KiB) Viewed 11100 times
Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

After making 8 of these I thought I was done. But then when is anyone ever done? So I now have number 9 cut and ready for assembly. And yes I have material for number 10 but that might be a ways off, like maybe spring time.
yetanotherone.jpg
yetanotherone.jpg (271.77 KiB) Viewed 2628 times
So far it has been a warm fall but weather or not that keeps going is any ones guess. Anyway I hope to have this put together and installed next week and then finish up a couple of other projects before November rolls around.

One thing I have to deal with is finding a tail stock part that fell and rolled back under things some where. I have looked but can't see it so time to move things around and hope it just hiding behind a leg or something. Should really clean under there anyway, always some saw dust, leaves, and more then likely mouse droppings........

Ed