Cordless nail gun

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

randythewoodchuck
Gold Member

Cordless nail gun

Post by randythewoodchuck »

OK folks, I taught for 30 years so I know the old adage that there are no stupid questions just is not true :eek: ! So, here goes and forgive my stupidity. I would like to purchase a cordless nailer for finishing that also serves as a stapler for light upholstery. And as I am just a hobbiest who is not particularly good at woodworkings or upholstery, just enjoy it, I would like to not spend too much on this purchase. I know that many of you would recommend a pneumatic, but I have gone down the battery powered trail already so would prefer to continue down that path. Any recommendations?
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Cordless nail gun

Post by RFGuy »

randythewoodchuck wrote:OK folks, I taught for 30 years so I know the old adage that there are no stupid questions just is not true :eek: ! So, here goes and forgive my stupidity. I would like to purchase a cordless nailer for finishing that also serves as a stapler for light upholstery. And as I am just a hobbiest who is not particularly good at woodworkings or upholstery, just enjoy it, I would like to not spend too much on this purchase. I know that many of you would recommend a pneumatic, but I have gone down the battery powered trail already so would prefer to continue down that path. Any recommendations?
I don't have any direct experience, so unfortunately I don't have a recommendation for you. I hear good things about electric nailguns, but they do tend to be a bit pricey compared to pneumatic. I think most of them run at least $300. Out of curiosity, what battery system, i.e. what brand are you using now? If you already have a few cordless electric tools, it would make sense to stay with that brand to reuse batteries, etc.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
randythewoodchuck
Gold Member

Post by randythewoodchuck »

I have Black & Decker hand power tools. For what I do they have worked fine, and if they made a nail gun I would buy it so that I had just the one battery type. But I've not found a B&D cordless nail gun even on their site. I am assuming they do not make one.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Well, I don't have any electric nailgun experience, but I can comment on brands (if that helps). DeWalt is owned by Black & Decker. DeWalt is considered more of the contractor option or prosumer so the build quality is better but it costs more. Black & Decker has always been more targeted to homeowners so it is lower cost than the DeWalt line. I have purchased and still own corded DeWalt tools that I use. For cordless, I have gone entirely with Milwaukee. I have always been a fan of corded Milwaukee tools, but in the last decade or so, Milwaukee has come on strong in this area. I think most industry types agree that Milwaukee has been leading in the lithium ion powered tool market for several years now. I have seen a few articles online talk about Milwaukee's rise...below is just one. In short, the head guy at Black & Decker left around a decade ago and went to the parent company of Milwaukee. It is my understanding that he was able to pull some talented employees away and bring them over to Milwaukee (hurting B&D and DeWalt). So there is a bitter rivalry between these two companies now. Don't know if any of this helps you, but if I was to bet between these two companies, I would put my money on Milwaukee for the foreseeable future. They seem to be leading in innovation and in giving homeowners/contractors exactly the cordless tools they want. Just my 2 cents...if this is all too much information, then please disregard this post. I just think it is interesting some of the background information that happens inside of some of these tool companies.

Hopefully someone on the forum can give you their direct experience working with an electric nailgun. I wish I had one, but for now will keep using my pneumatic until it breaks.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xp ... story.html

This review is a few years old, but it is fairly thorough. The DeWalt did well in it and is probably a good all around choice:

https://www.toolboxbuzz.com/head-to-hea ... to-head/2/

Updated review:
https://www.toolboxbuzz.com/cordless-to ... ad-nailer/
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I think I have a post here somewhere from when I got my first battery nail gun. I'll look for it later.

I now have 3 of these, 18GA, 16Ga and a stapler and all are Porter Cable so they use the same batteries. I have had no issue or problems with them, and no jams ever.

I have air guns as well and they are still a better deal cost wise, the battery nail guns cost more but you do buy some convenience and don't have to pull air hoses or move the compressor trying to get to a project out in the yard or upstairs in the house.

I want to get a pin nail that is battery powered but have not decided which one I want to go with. Reviews on them are not all that great.....

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

reible wrote:I think I have a post here somewhere from when I got my first battery nail gun. I'll look for it later.

I now have 3 of these, 18GA, 16Ga and a stapler and all are Porter Cable so they use the same batteries. I have had no issue or problems with them, and no jams ever.

I have air guns as well and they are still a better deal cost wise, the battery nail guns cost more but you do buy some convenience and don't have to pull air hoses or move the compressor trying to get to a project out in the yard or upstairs in the house.

I want to get a pin nail that is battery powered but have not decided which one I want to go with. Reviews on them are not all that great.....

Ed
The Porter Cable cordless nailers do look a lot more affordable, especially if starting out and not already on a battery system from any one brand. All of my pneumatic nailers are Porter Cable and I have been very happy with them. Of course apples and oranges comparison, but since Ed has direct experience with these newer generation cordless Porter Cable nailers that is a good endorsement.
📶RF Guy

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

I have had good luck with masterforce tools from Menards . they seem to be in the middle when it comes to construction grade and throw away's . my masterforce pin nailer has out lasted my bosh nailer twice over . just my .02
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Does Masterforce have a cordless nailer? Thought they were all pneumatic. Aren't the Masterforce tools rebranded Makita's?

No Menards out here though...
📶RF Guy

P89DC
Gold Member

Post by P89DC »

$40 pancake compressor powers a $20 stapler. I did just this hang insulation in my garage. Added a pin nailer for $20. I've had a budget woodtek trim nailer since the early 90s. It just keeps working. The hose never bothers me. Esp compared to a $350 cordless stapler that's kinda bulky and cumbersome. But I'm a cheap old fart...
1986 510, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, scroll saw, jigsaw and lots of accessories. Shopsmith woodworking bench too!
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Here is the link I mentioned earlier:

https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... ns#p228512

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]