Where is the best place to buy/find wood.

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wa2crk
Platinum Member

Re: Where is the best place to buy/find wood.

Post by wa2crk »

If you have a Woodcraft or a Rockler store near you you can find quality wood at those places.I hesitate to order on line because I like to see the stuff I buy. You may be thinking of Baltic Birch plywood which is supposed to have a substrate with no voids. The first place I would direct you to would be the yellow pages and look under hardwood suppliers or if you have a custom cabinet shop near you they can probably direct you to their source.
IF YOU THINK THAT MONEY DOES NOT GROW ON TREES, TRY BUYING WOOD.
Bill V
berry
Platinum Member

Post by berry »

I don't know the "best" place to get lumber, but I'll list places I've found wood that was suitable for the work I was doing. To some extent it depends on the area you live in and the people you know and the kind of projects you're interested in building. I purchase some stock from HD and Menards, mostly Doug fir and poplar. For cabinet grade plywood I used a local lumber yard that went bust last spring, but I found another small outfit that I've been satisfied with. I check a local source for estate sales frequently and if I see equipment I'll go look for wood. And I've picked up furniture at estate sales where I've been able to re-purpose wood, especially bed rails. I generally ask the kids to get me wood for Christmas and my birthday. And I purchase some wood on-line too, especially the really thin stock I use for scrolling.
donalexander
Gold Member

Post by donalexander »

There's a community of folks with bandsaw lumber mills and they can provide rough sawn lumber available in your area. The trick is finding them. I'm in central Virginia and I've found a few on Craigslist. Occasionally these folks have S4S lumber too. Around here I can find red oak, white oak, cherry, walnut, eastern red cedar, and poplar most of the time. If you don't have a planer, you'll need one to go from rough sawn to finished lumber.

I've also found two places that specialize in lumber. One advertises and the other I heard of by word of mouth. One place has a lot of exotic imported lumber and the other mostly local woods but both places have finished lumber (at a higher price).

So to answer your question, I'd suggest Craigslist, maybe Facebook marketplace, and getting to know other woodworkers in your area.
Don

Mark V (bought new, now sold), Model 520 (1989 510 upgraded)
Bandsaw, Jointer, and Planer
1951 Magna Engineering 10ER (restored for lathe use and sold)
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Is the OP in this thread legit or is it spam? You might want to consider that they posted a similar question to woodtalkonline earlier this week with the same user ID of indigoer. On that forum, their profile indicated that they were based in Europe. So, a lot of the answers we might normally give here, likely don't apply since local lumber sources will be far different there. If you look up the website linked in the OP's thread, it is a European based company selling industrial equipment with no mention of selling wood as the OP stated. This might be a newbie posting here, but it always seems strange to me to see a supposed newbie post with a weblink that has NOTHING to do with woodworking. If I am wrong, I apologize, but we get a lot of spam posts on this forum...many of which are just clickbait or trying to drive traffic to a legitimate business (albeit unrelated to woodworking and often of no interest to forum members here).

https://www.woodtalkonline.com/topic/30 ... ent-405016

Not trying to discourage newbies from posting here, or discourage posts from Europe, but when the link in a newbie post doesn't match with what is said in the post, it starts to look like spam to me.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

This is a great online site especially the 20 BF UPS bundles.

http://www.walllumber.com/lum.asp
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Dead tree = wood ?, try looking for a tree service in your area and work with them on removing the cut stuff and haul it to a saw mill , it saves them time cutting it up into small pieces and hauling it off , you will need a way to haul it and place to store and dry it . be sure of the final dimension of the wood you are going to use and then get the right size blades , bits and cutters .
A 3/4 board from the bb store is too thin for a 3/4 router bit
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

RFGuy wrote:Is the OP in this thread legit or is it spam? You might want to consider that they posted a similar question to woodtalkonline earlier this week with the same user ID of indigoer. On that forum, their profile indicated that they were based in Europe. So, a lot of the answers we might normally give here, likely don't apply since local lumber sources will be far different there. If you look up the website linked in the OP's thread, it is a European based company selling industrial equipment with no mention of selling wood as the OP stated. This might be a newbie posting here, but it always seems strange to me to see a supposed newbie post with a weblink that has NOTHING to do with woodworking. If I am wrong, I apologize, but we get a lot of spam posts on this forum...many of which are just clickbait or trying to drive traffic to a legitimate business (albeit unrelated to woodworking and often of no interest to forum members here).

https://www.woodtalkonline.com/topic/30 ... ent-405016

Not trying to discourage newbies from posting here, or discourage posts from Europe, but when the link in a newbie post doesn't match with what is said in the post, it starts to look like spam to me.
Yes tis possible.

However the thread was started and regardless of the intended purpose, a valid discussion has resulted.

Time will tell.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

JPG wrote:
RFGuy wrote: Not trying to discourage newbies from posting here, or discourage posts from Europe, but when the link in a newbie post doesn't match with what is said in the post, it starts to look like spam to me.
Yes tis possible.

However the thread was started and regardless of the intended purpose, a valid discussion has resulted.

Time will tell.
Yeah, I just wanted to alert everyone to the fact that the thread was likely started from a spam posting. Whenever I see these with a hyperlink from a supposed new member, I always check the link first. If it looks suspicious, I don't even respond. Usually you can tell from the context of the text in the post, but this particular posting was sneakily disguised.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

indigoer wrote:[quote="RFGuy" . . .
What's the point of redirecting traffic to a site I have nothing to do with.
''Why indeed" considering yer 20.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

indigoer wrote:
RFGuy wrote:their profile indicated that they were based in Europe. So, a lot of the answers we might normally give here, likely don't apply since local lumber sources will be far different there.
It's my first time posting here. Didn't know if everyone was from USA.
RFGuy wrote:It is a European based company selling industrial equipment with no mention of selling wood as the OP stated.
I actually saw some woods online for a good price. I think I saw it on the site I mentioned, but I also might be mistaken. Not sure.
RFGuy wrote:clickbait or trying to drive traffic to a legitimate business
I have nothing to do with the site. What's the point of redirecting traffic to a site I have nothing to do with.
It seems like you have A LOT of hobbies. I find multiple postings with your screen name popping up on a Google search. It seems like you are also a "newbie" to cars and car rebuilding. Not sure what Famaga has to do with rebuilding cars. Which is it that you are rebuilding, a Dodge Shelby GLHS or a Shelby Daytona Z? I am confused by your near identically timed posts on multiple online forums...all of them promoting Famaga:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showt ... -Questions

https://www.turbododge.com/threads/glhs ... up.971865/

It seems you are also building a virtual pinball machine at the same time:

https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=43391

This would be an EXTREME coincidence to say your post related to Famaga is related to similar posts with the same screen name AND also promoting Famaga on those forums. There's another half dozen websites that have all been posted on in the past few days. All with the same user ID of indigoer...all purporting to be a newbie in something kind of related to that particular forum, but each post linking to Famaga. How do you find the time to partake in all of these hobbies? Clearly you can manipulate the space-time continuum?!? How do I know this??? Because you went back in time and copied woodhead52's post from 2013:

indigoer plagiarized woodhead52 posting from this 2013 thread:
https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... hp?t=13414

Only his post (woodhead52) was legitimate and didn't reference Famaga.
📶RF Guy