SS overarm router setup to make bow tie/butterfly inlays

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

STB
Gold Member

SS overarm router setup to make bow tie/butterfly inlays

Post by STB »

The task make 20 butterfly inlays and route sockets to receive the inlays. With 40 machine operations I thought the quickest and easiest way would be to set up the overarm router. The first step was to make a bow tie template and rout the inlays. I was concerned it wouldn't make it thru 40 operations. The template was made from a piece of paneling and fairly soft so I soaked the edges with wood hardener. I used a piece of 7/8 in black walnut that had both a bow and a twist. This meant that that the board wouldn't lay flat on the inlay template so I set the depth as deep as possible and still route from both sides of the stock. (see I1 & I2) After splitting the board everything looked OK. Next I reconfigured the template to rout the inlay socket in the rails and styles (I3). I used a shop built hand router to clean up the inlay sockets. Next was fitting gluing planing and sanding.
The main takeaways from this setup:
I used soft pine to make the template guides and it didn't hold up to the moving of the template I used screws to fasten the template to the board. I should of used a harder stock.
I needed to clean up the chips better it created extra fiddling when fitting the inlays in the inlay sockets
lastly I should of matched the thickness of the inlays with the depth of the sockets a little closer. I made extra work for myself planing the inlays flush.
To conclude I am satisfied with the final result.
I1.jpg
I1.jpg (292.43 KiB) Viewed 11218 times
I2.jpg
I2.jpg (317.43 KiB) Viewed 11218 times
I3.jpg
I3.jpg (297.69 KiB) Viewed 11218 times
I4.jpg
I4.jpg (328.34 KiB) Viewed 11218 times
I5.jpg
I5.jpg (319.14 KiB) Viewed 11218 times
I6.jpg
I6.jpg (256.09 KiB) Viewed 11218 times
Glenn
I create problem solving challenges and opportunities for design modification, not mistakes.

SS 520 born 04/16/03, Power Station mounted Band saw , Scroll saw, Jointer, Belt sander, Overarm router, dedicated Mark V drill press, SS Maxi-clamp system, Shopsmith woodworking bench
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Re: SS overarm router setup to make bow tie/butterfly inlays

Post by nuhobby »

Very nice!

I will likely reference this posting sometime coming up; I appreciate your sharing the details.

Chris
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Thank you!
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Nice work! I’m guessing that you made five of those frames — what are they for? I’d love to see pics of the finished product(s).
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Impressive! I have an overarm router (new version) that I bought thinking I had all kinds of uses for it. But I have only used it 3-4 times and frankly my results haven't been as good as yours.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

STB
Gold Member

Post by STB »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:Nice work! I’m guessing that you made five of those frames — what are they for? I’d love to see pics of the finished product(s).
It,s a work in progress. So far all materials are reused so I work on it as materials become available.
20200422_083250 (598x800).jpg
20200422_083250 (598x800).jpg (320.43 KiB) Viewed 10696 times
Glenn
I create problem solving challenges and opportunities for design modification, not mistakes.

SS 520 born 04/16/03, Power Station mounted Band saw , Scroll saw, Jointer, Belt sander, Overarm router, dedicated Mark V drill press, SS Maxi-clamp system, Shopsmith woodworking bench
STB
Gold Member

Post by STB »

algale wrote:Impressive! I have an overarm router (new version) that I bought thinking I had all kinds of uses for it. But I have only used it 3-4 times and frankly my results haven't been as good as yours.
I used a 1/8 upcut carbide spiral bit used in CNC operations with a 1/8 to 1/4 collett. It seams to produce better result than regular router bits.

Note upcut bits produce a little fuzz but down cut bits plug up if not routing thru the stock.
Glenn

DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Excellent work. Can you explain the pin part of your system? It is either not SS or at least not like mine. Are you using two different pin sizes to get the inlay and cutout to match in size, but with the same bit? If yes, what are the pin diameters? I'm a pin routing newbie, and have not tried inlay.

- David
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Nice to see someone getting some use out of their OPR.

I liked the use of the router inlay set. Those sets do a really good job of making tight fitting parts. I have both the 1/8 and 1/4" sets.

I don't know if you have a dishing bit but the OPR can be used to plane the stock down so you don't have to do much work with height issues. On thin stock double side tape it to a carrier board, in fact I even do that on thicker stock to make it easier and safer to use.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
STB
Gold Member

Post by STB »

DLB wrote:Excellent work. Can you explain the pin part of your system? It is either not SS or at least not like mine. Are you using two different pin sizes to get the inlay and cutout to match in size, but with the same bit? If yes, what are the pin diameters? I'm a pin routing newbie, and have not tried inlay.

- David
I made a carrier for the router inlay collar and double faced taped it to the OHR bed. I hope the picture tells the rest of the story.
Inlay.jpg
Inlay.jpg (260.35 KiB) Viewed 9689 times
Glenn