Glue up question

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

berry
Platinum Member

Glue up question

Post by berry »

Does any know, from practical experience, if stock with a coat of boiled linseed oil can be glued. The mating piece has no finish. Thanks for reading.
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Glue up question

Post by dusty »

berry wrote:Does any know, from practical experience, if stock with a coat of boiled linseed oil can be glued. The mating piece has no finish. Thanks for reading.
No practical experience here but I would bet not.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
STB
Gold Member

Post by STB »

Good question. I have a cart coated with boiled linseed oil. I will glue a piece o pine to it with tightbond II this morning and let you know the results tomorrow.
Glenn
I create problem solving challenges and opportunities for design modification, not mistakes.

SS 520 born 04/16/03, Power Station mounted Band saw , Scroll saw, Jointer, Belt sander, Overarm router, dedicated Mark V drill press, SS Maxi-clamp system, Shopsmith woodworking bench
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

I know CA glue will stick to BLO, but I suspect your best result would be to scrape the surface you want to glue and wipe it down with DNA first.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
berry
Platinum Member

Post by berry »

I put together a completely unscientific experiment with off-cuts. The clamps were on about 6 hours. The BLO was on the stock overnight. Titebond II. For my application it appears to work just fine. Lucky me.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

I have done it , I cleaned the surface prior to gluing and wiped it down with mineral spirits or something of that nature , not sure if it helped or not but the piece is still holding, good luck
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

I dont know how deep the BLO penetrates, but maybe light sanding on the surface could expose areas for bonding.
STB
Gold Member

Post by STB »

STB wrote:Good question. I have a cart coated with boiled linseed oil. I will glue a piece o pine to it with tightbond II this morning and let you know the results tomorrow.
Wiped area with alcohol and it stuck just fine.
Glue test.jpg
Glue test.jpg (357.46 KiB) Viewed 7491 times
Glue test.jpg
Glue test.jpg (357.46 KiB) Viewed 7491 times
Glenn
I create problem solving challenges and opportunities for design modification, not mistakes.

SS 520 born 04/16/03, Power Station mounted Band saw , Scroll saw, Jointer, Belt sander, Overarm router, dedicated Mark V drill press, SS Maxi-clamp system, Shopsmith woodworking bench