power pro--unplug after use?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

farley
Platinum Member

power pro--unplug after use?

Post by farley »

I should be getting my power pro tomorrow. I don't know if a manual will come with it.
It's a deal and I haven't seen it yet. don't know if it's a rebuilt or new, owner died.

my question is: does it have to be unplugged at the end of the day.

I know with some Jet lathe they tell you to turn off the electricity when done. It has something to do with the electronic read out.
I think it keeps drawing amps and then burns out.

Do you have to do this with the power pro.
thanks
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: power pro--unplug after use?

Post by DLB »

I don't unplug mine. The On and Off buttons on the control panel work as you describe, the electronics are still using power. But on the SS PP there is also the traditional On/Off switch that removes all power from the electronics. If your PP is made from a 'A' or 'B' headstock it will still have the toggle switch, and if it was made from a 'C' headstock it will have the rocker style switch.

One of the hardest habits to change, for me, is turning it Off using the Control Panel rather than the switch... Still working on that.

In case you don't get a manual, it is important to know that if you select any REV speed or any FWD speed greater than 1500 you have to press Confirm after ON. It will ask you. I think you have to Confirm twice for REV AND GT 1500.

- David
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I have had my Power Pro (SS built full up head stock) since January 2013. It has never been unplugged. Just remember to turn off the original toggle switch off and you should be fine.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

I live near the lightning capitol of the US, Clermont Fl. I try to unplug all devices that I can get to easily and the rest are equipped with surge suppressors to mitigate potential damage. Switch contacts may be open but the space between contacts is very small and can be bridged by lightning, so unplugging is safer when convenient. JMO.
Bill V
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

I was in the habit of unplugging from the wall when I left the shop...mostly
due to the kids having access to the area unsupervised.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Unplugging your Shopsmith is up to you to decide based on your circumstances. As you see there can be good reasons to unplug it. I turn off the red key safety switch but do leave mine plugged in most of the time. If a lightening storm is expected in my area I do go through the house unplugging non-essential items. In the nearly 34 years I have lived here there has only been one strike near my house. It was about 150 feet from my house striking my neighbors tree right behind their house and jumping to their electrical system damaging quite a few items that were plugged in.

If your Power Pro doesn't come with the manual you could get the Mark 7 manual from Shopsmith. It covers using the Power Pro headstock.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
farley
Platinum Member

Post by farley »

I appreciate all the feedback.
I never unplug anything,( did say that) I was referring stopping the electrically the the control panel, which if it's consistence on with some jet electronic lathe, burns the electronic out.
That was my main concern.
It seems like the on/off switch would take care of that issue, though I don't think SS has that problem from what I been reading.
thanks again
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

farley wrote:I appreciate all the feedback.
I never unplug anything,( did say that) I was referring stopping the electrically the the control panel, which if it's consistence on with some jet electronic lathe, burns the electronic out.
That was my main concern.
It seems like the on/off switch would take care of that issue, though I don't think SS has that problem from what I been reading.
thanks again
I would say that IF that is a problem with JET lathes, they have a serious design flaw.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT