Turning project question for you or you or even you

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Turning project question for you or you or even you

Post by reible »

I have a turning project where I will be making handles for some garden tools. I have some reservations about using the brass with the aluminum eclectically. I also might have some proper sized copper pipe but I think that is even worse match.
GT1.jpg
GT1.jpg (133.77 KiB) Viewed 12639 times
So what do you think? Any other ideas?

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Re: Turning project question for you or you or even you

Post by nuhobby »

Well, it's hard to beat brass or copper for ease of metalworking. I'm not sure I know a silver-colored option other than maybe some aluminum.

If the tools get used a lot, the ferrule color will be forgotten soon. If the tools are seldom-used, and kept clean & dry, well then, even pinstriping on the metal could be fun. I actually did a red circle-pinstripe on a watch bezel last Christmas season (using 250rpm on the Shopsmith), and it was putting a grin on my face.

Chris
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

You could turn it black with this stuff, if you like that look better.

https://www.amazon.com/Birchwood-Casey- ... B0000C514O
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

EMT conduit,
Or, if you have some, scrap aluminum tubing.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

What size do you need? EMT conduit, aluminum or steel tubing would give you the silver colored ferrule that would match the tools.

https://www.menards.com/main/hardware/s ... 418537.htm

https://www.menards.com/main/electrical ... c-6423.htm
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

To prevent galvanic corrosion between the aluminum and the brass ferule, what about a polypropylene washer or a similar insulator placed between them to prevent it? Of course, this only prevents edge to edge corrosion starting between these two dissimilar metals. Of course, if there is any significant moisture in the wooden handle it could serve as a channel between them. Though it may take many years before it corrodes significantly from the handle. Just some thoughts...looks like a fun project.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Silver paint on the ferrule.
Or you could tin it with solder. :)
Ron Dyck
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

No need to worry about dissimilar metals as the two will never come all that close to one another.

Still haven't decided on what I want to do. I did dig out some copper that I used for some lathe chisels years back but have not cut it to length or tried tinning it.

Paint I'm afraid will not last long when used in a garden setting but that blacking agent might be interesting. It is $10 but I bet I could find other uses for it so it would not just be for these three tools.

The included plans don't even call for this feature but I think it would be better off with it in place both mechanically and visually.

Hope to start turning them this week, maybe tomorrow so I will have to make up my mind soon. Interesting that no one said hey the ones you have look just fine....

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

reible wrote: Hope to start turning them this week, maybe tomorrow so I will have to make up my mind soon. Interesting that no one said hey the ones you have look just fine....

Ed
I thought if that was an option, you wouldn't have asked. ;)
Looks fine to me, but I'm a function over form kind of guy. :)
Ron Dyck
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Aesthetically speaking, I think the brass and aluminum look great together with the dark wood handle. Maybe I misunderstand your question originally regarding putting these two metals together...
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor