Re: Tile cutters vs. wet saw

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

BobCoates1953
Gold Member

Post by BobCoates1953 »

Since post I responded to was spam wanted to deleate
Last edited by BobCoates1953 on Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

I have a Porter Cable wet tile saw that I bought to do a bathroom and also a 15' long BBQ patio island. I don't remember how much I paid for it...maybe between $100-200. It was well worth it for my little projects. Since you have a lot of 45 degree cuts, I would recommend looking for one that can do these angle cuts well. I seem to remember that my Porter Cable tile saw was really only for straight cuts. Don't know why I bought a Porter Cable brand...perhaps that was what was on the shelf at Lowes or Home Depot at the time. I'd recommend getting a tile saw and if you don't need it afterwards just sell it to recoup some of your investment.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

Spam reported.

The text is exactly the same as from a post from 2004 at https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/sh ... hp?t=14330. Also, has link on his name.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I just do not understand why posts like these are made.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

Dusty, for this particular type, it is an attempt to drive people to the linked page. The page could be to a product or it could be to attempt to get people to install some form of malware.

The posts that don't have a link, I surely don't understand those unless they are trying to get above some threshold they think might exist in order to then post links.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Laser engraver
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

dusty wrote:I just do not understand why posts like these are made.
When spammers get their website links onto high-traffic websites, it boosts their search-engine rankings. The bots from Google et. al. will give them another brownie point for every link they find, which moves the site up in their rankings. This indirectly drives more traffic to the spammer's site.

Only the website link matters -- the rest of the post is simply an attempt to look legit, so that the post doesn't get deleted. I don't recall ever seeing a bronze-member post containing a link that wasn't spam.

BTW, if someone quotes the spam post without deleting or disabling the link, and that quote isn't deleted along with the original spam post, the spammer wins. The link in the quote is still live, and it serves the spammer's purposes just as well as the original post.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I was suspicious of a tile post on a wood working forum. I did not notice a link. I think we do need to leave what remains of this thread as being educational re spammers.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Re: Re: Tile cutters vs. wet saw

Post by roy_okc »

JPG,

The link wasn't very obvious, just dark blue against his name, easy to overlook. Take a look at my userid immediately below, which points to shopsmith.com, as an example of how it can be difficult to see and is pretty much what our "friend" did to start this thread.

Roy
Roy

Laser engraver
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

roy_okc wrote:JPG,

The link wasn't very obvious, just dark blue against his name, easy to overlook. Take a look at my userid immediately below, which points to shopsmith.com, as an example of how it can be difficult to see and is pretty much what our "friend" did to start this thread.

Roy
Ah OK that is where it was. I saw that post as soon as it showed up. The first thing I thought was SPAM but no link so I didn't report it. I will have to start looking closer now.

It is interesting that he started a new thread. I don't remember seeing that before. Usually they resurrect a years old thread for some reason.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

John,

I think admins clean up stuff fairly early in the morning. I often see new spam threads early-ish, say before 8 Central. I'll report them when I see them, but often see that someone else has reported already.
Roy

Laser engraver