User guide for 555471 Planer / Jointer Knife Sharpener

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

kablerj
Gold Member

User guide for 555471 Planer / Jointer Knife Sharpener

Post by kablerj »

I purchased a used Shopsmith planer several years ago. I don't use it that often, and it is just now needing the knives sharpened. I received the 555471 Planer / Jointer Knife Sharpener and conical disc with the planer. But, there was no instructions on how to use the 555471. Can someone please point me to a link to download these instructions, or a video showing how to use it. Thank you.
Hello from Somerset in the beautiful Pennsylvania Laurel Highlands.

Mark 7, Mark VII, Mark V 520, Mark V 510 x 2, Mark V 500
SPT's - Band Saw, Jig Saw, Belt Sander, Jointer, strip sander, Oscillating Sander, Speed Increaser
SS Freestanding - Pro Planer, Scroll Saw, Overarm Pin Router, Power Station, DC3000 x 2
Made for SS - Incra iBox, Ring Master

"Honest dear, I can quit any time I want."
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: User guide for 555471 Planer / Jointer Knife Sharpener

Post by JPG »

Insert one planer knife or three jointer knives fully and secure the three clamps.

Adjust the table for the grind angle desired(if different from 'normal' table setting).

Install rip fence on table at approximately the distance needed.

Advance/adjust the quill for grind feed. A minimal grind is desired to minimize heat buildup and material removal.

Slowly slide knife holder past contact line of conical disk while insuring contact against the table and the fence.

Be careful to not contact spinning disk.

Paraphrased, but that is essentially 'it'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
kablerj
Gold Member

Post by kablerj »

I assume you use the 150 grit. Do you follow with a finer grit? If so, where do you get it? Shopsmith doesn't offer any finer grit.

To keep the factory angle (looks to be 45) do you keep the table at zero, or 4 degrees as when sanding?

Looks like you could nick a knuckle if you're not careful.
Hello from Somerset in the beautiful Pennsylvania Laurel Highlands.

Mark 7, Mark VII, Mark V 520, Mark V 510 x 2, Mark V 500
SPT's - Band Saw, Jig Saw, Belt Sander, Jointer, strip sander, Oscillating Sander, Speed Increaser
SS Freestanding - Pro Planer, Scroll Saw, Overarm Pin Router, Power Station, DC3000 x 2
Made for SS - Incra iBox, Ring Master

"Honest dear, I can quit any time I want."
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I think 150 grit is fine enough for grinding. They CAN be honed after grinding.

Grind angle varies with intended type of wood to be planed.

BTW the conical disk is closer to 3° than 4°.

IIRC setting the table at '90' yields about a 42° grind angle.

One caveat, make sure the blades are fully inserted correctly into the holder.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Following the instructions JPG has already given you. Leave the table set at 90 degrees as per the instructions. Use very light passes and once should be enough unless you have nicks in the blades or are changing the angle. For more than one pass advance the Quill slightly.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

chapmanruss wrote:Following the instructions JPG has already given you. Leave the table set at 90 degrees as per the instructions. Use very light passes and once should be enough unless you have nicks in the blades or are changing the angle. For more than one pass advance the Quill slightly.
VERY slightly!

I also suggest an additional pass with NO adjustment.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

If you still want the manual, I scanned mine for the Planer/Jointer Knife Sharpening Jig and it is at the link below:
SharpeningJig_555471-compressed.pdf
(2.05 MiB) Downloaded 977 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

OH YEAH lowering the table also deepens the grind. I fergit that!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The Adjustable Stop Collar is a good accessory to use if you want to use lowering the table for additional passes. It will give better control over the depth of the grind than advancing the Quill. It works on both the Main and the Extension Tables. See it at the link below.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... collar.htm
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
thinkappleone
Bronze Member

Post by thinkappleone »

I've used it to sharpen 10" planer blades from an older Ryobi benchtop planer, using self-adhesive sandpaper on the infeed table of a jointer.
Last edited by beeg on Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed URL.