Shopsmith hacks

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Shopsmith hacks

Post by ryanbp01 »

One of the things I really love about this forum is the collective creativity of its members. As I was reading a magazine of jigs and fixtures, I thought maybe it might be a fine time to devote a thread to the many adaptations people have made to their Shopsmiths in order to make woodworking easier. Sometimes these threads have shown up in other categories, however I thought having a thread devoted to these jigs and fixtures specifically would make them easier to find.
BPR
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith hacks

Post by Gene Howe »

Great idea. The only thing I've done to my MKVs was to add the Jointech Saw Train and router table to one of them. It has been a very nice addition. I did remove the upper and lower blade guards from both of my saws. For the shorty, I made a drill press table. On the list, though, is Shipwright's drum sander. Maybe, some day.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Gene Howe wrote:Great idea. The only thing I've done to my MKVs was to add the Jointech Saw Train and router table to one of them. It has been a very nice addition. I did remove the upper and lower blade guards from both of my saws. For the shorty, I made a drill press table. On the list, though, is Shipwright's drum sander. Maybe, some day.

Upper and lower saw blade guards? Why would you remove both? I know many people can not deal with the upper Guard but why on earth remove the lower one? What is your thinking on this?
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I pretty much make no changes from factory configuraton. I did purchase some longer connecting tubes to make the table larger for breaking down 4x8 sheets of plywood, but I can't really call it a hack because Shopsmith offers longer tubes for those of us who use them.
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Ed in Tampa wrote:
Gene Howe wrote:Great idea. The only thing I've done to my MKVs was to add the Jointech Saw Train and router table to one of them. It has been a very nice addition. I did remove the upper and lower blade guards from both of my saws. For the shorty, I made a drill press table. On the list, though, is Shipwright's drum sander. Maybe, some day.

Upper and lower saw blade guards? Why would you remove both? I know many people can not deal with the upper Guard but why on earth remove the lower one? What is your thinking on this?
Well, no deep thinking involved. I just didn't find it necessary.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Now that I am in my "golden years" I find that I'm accident prone. Therefore, I try not to deliberately expose anything sharp. Doing away with the lower saw guard just scares me. I do, however, work nearly all of the time without the upper saw guard which I consider a nuisance.

The only time I have experienced bodily injury by the saw blade - the saw was not even turned on.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Since my goldie has NEVER had either guard, I have not needed to remove them. However since I have never had them I am ALWAYS conscous of their absence. So as I get older I do concentrate more on that fact and do always keep track of me and the blade. Yes as I get older that is a necessity.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

The hack I use every time I use my 10ER is the Allen key/lamp holder.
lamp allenkey holder 2.JPG
lamp allenkey holder 2.JPG (403.11 KiB) Viewed 11998 times
Second would be the fairly recent addition of drawers under the bench.
#1benchwdrawers.jpg
#1benchwdrawers.jpg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 11998 times
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

Classic looking setup! Really like the drawers as well as the lamp/hex key rack.
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
mindpilot
Gold Member

Post by mindpilot »

Here I have my Shopsmith set up to mix drywall texture compound.
mixer.jpg
mixer.jpg (64.36 KiB) Viewed 11836 times