Passive Phone Amplifier

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

berry
Platinum Member

Passive Phone Amplifier

Post by berry »

I was really feeling frustrated by a wooden gear clock I've been working on so I thought I try one of these amplifiers. There are hundreds of examples on Youtube. This looked straight ahead so I gave it a try. (Sorry I'd like to give credit to the designer but I didn't take any notes and now I'm unable to find it again?) I'm not sure what the wood is, except for the maple highlight. I went through my wood recently and found these items which I could neither identify nor remember where they came from. The finish is just Watco Danish Oil (natural) although the sound channel has a couple of coats of shellac. My hearing is very bad but to me there a marked improved when playing music through it. Thanks for looking.

Here's a link to a 20 second video so you can hear the sound difference. https://youtu.be/0-KEpQP334o
Phone Amplifier 69.jpg
Phone Amplifier 69.jpg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 6482 times
OWGC 693.jpg
OWGC 693.jpg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 6482 times
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Re: Passive Phone Amplifier

Post by nuhobby »

Wow, that's actually pretty impressive!
We'll call you Dr. Bose...
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Nice project! And it definitely makes those little smart-phone speakers sound a lot warmer.

I have a few chunks of antique heart pine left over from my mantel project, and they look just like that wood. So I’m guessing longleaf pine heartwood. Probably old growth, to have nice tight growth rings like that.
mountainbreeze
Platinum Member

Post by mountainbreeze »

Nice job and it works well. That wood looks a lot like some Douglas fir I have.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Very nice phone amp... fantastic clock!
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
viewcart
Bronze Member

Post by viewcart »

I've been wanting to make a few of these for family but can't settle on a design. How well does your design amplify? Looks great!
natewhitehurst
Bronze Member

Post by natewhitehurst »

Wow! that is really cool! Definitely gives you some eq boost in the middle/low end and it looks great too!