Repair Fail & Lost Wife Points

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

STB
Gold Member

Repair Fail & Lost Wife Points

Post by STB »

The conversation started something like this:
This is my favorite hair brush with all of your expensive fancy tools (Shopsmith) can you fix this? Taking a look at the broken handle it looked to be an easy an fix. A brush sleeve over a tenon. I said "yes I can fix that" and immediately started thinking about my new wife points. In these days of self isolation and 7 x 24 togetherness I need all the wife points I can get.
I found what I think is a piece of Myrtle wood https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umbellularia and proceeded to turn a handle with a tenon for the brush sleeve. Using a caliper I turned the tenon as close to the original diameter as possible. I wanted a good friction fit. Inserting the brush sleeve it stuck about 2/3 of the way on, no problem I used the SS Quill as an arbor press to finish the job. In my mind all was good and I started to daydream about what I could do with my new wife points.
The first thing out of my wife's mouth was "the colors don't match" The next thing was to soak the brush in bleach water. After all it was in my nasty unclean shop. That was when things started to go wrong. The wood swelled and split the brush sleeve. And all my daydreams vanished with the loss of my wife points.
20200722_101154 (600x800).jpg
20200722_101154 (600x800).jpg (289.17 KiB) Viewed 3355 times
20200722_102810 (600x800).jpg
20200722_102810 (600x800).jpg (280.4 KiB) Viewed 3355 times
Glenn
I create problem solving challenges and opportunities for design modification, not mistakes.

SS 520 born 04/16/03, Power Station mounted Band saw , Scroll saw, Jointer, Belt sander, Overarm router, dedicated Mark V drill press, SS Maxi-clamp system, Shopsmith woodworking bench
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Re: Repair Fail & Lost Wife Points

Post by nuhobby »

LOL!

I've had my Shopsmith since 2007. It has only been in the last 5 years that my wife "respects" what I turn out of the shop...

Chris
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Enjoy the witness protection program -- it is your only option at this point.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

Would rubbing alcohol have worked?
BPR