Today in the shop (using up scrap)

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Today in the shop (using up scrap)

Post by reible »

I had and still have a few scraps of mdf left over from the pigeon hole units I made, if you missed that set of projects see:

https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/gene ... 22994.html

I had a little unused room in the shop at the end of a cabinet and I'm always looking for any added storage space I can find. So a combination of space and scraps turned in to this project.
scrapshelf design file.jpg
scrapshelf design file.jpg (89.88 KiB) Viewed 3294 times
The mdf is all 1/2" and the plywood back is 1/4".

Used my guided saw and miter saw for the cuts and used some 18ga brads to hold things together along with some screws.
scrapshelf.jpg
scrapshelf.jpg (162.83 KiB) Viewed 3294 times
Ed

Nothing special but it is useful so there is that.
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Re: Today in the shop (using up scrap)

Post by nuhobby »

Good strategy using laminated sides to accomplish the Dados for shelves!
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

It's always nice to have extra storage, although it never seems to be extra for long.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

The double walled sides- is that more for mechanical stability or a smooth continuous side look ?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

bainin wrote:The double walled sides- is that more for mechanical stability or a smooth continuous side look ?
Back up two posts.(nuhobby)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Unless you happened to study the drawing with dimensions it might not be apparent that there is a rabbit for the back to fit into by way of the short vertical pieces. So not only do they provide a fixed space and have negated the need for dado's in the sides they also perform the function of a cut rabbit.

With the back removed you can see the method used to do this:
rabbit on shelf.jpg
rabbit on shelf.jpg (39.76 KiB) Viewed 3122 times
Ed
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The top has me puzzled. 5" and 3/4 x 3/4??
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The top fits on top of a existing shelf unit that has a french cleat attached so the 3/4 x 3/4 notch accounts for that.

The top is designed to fit over the exiting shelf only to the extent of holding it in position before the screws attach it through the back in to the side of the shelf unit, ie not designed to take the weight of shelf and content.

Ed
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Puzzled no more! TNX
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝