Shop Vac closing doors

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Shop Vac closing doors

Post by RFGuy »

I didn't think it would take too long for this, but a Chinese company (Greatstar) has acquired the ShopVac name so you will see products in stores again with the name, but I don't know whose guts will be inside them. Their website is back up again, but many of the products look different than what was sold before...guessing these are Greatstar products instead. Based on this, I assume Greatstar largely bought the ShopVac name solely for brand recognition. They claim to be opening the WILLIAMSPORT, PA location back up and hiring there, but they are based in HANGZHOU, China.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/ ... l-Category
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

RFGuy wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:28 pm I didn't think it would take too long for this, but a Chinese company (Greatstar) has acquired the ShopVac name so you will see products in stores again with the name, but I don't know whose guts will be inside them. Their website is back up again, but many of the products look different than what was sold before...guessing these are Greatstar products instead. Based on this, I assume Greatstar largely bought the ShopVac name solely for brand recognition. They claim to be opening the WILLIAMSPORT, PA location back up and hiring there, but they are based in HANGZHOU, China.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/ ... l-Category
Apparently the shop vac was built to some degree in China. So it may be the same machine only this time you know where the parts came from. Let us face it, you can hardly buy anything that was not manufactured at least in part in China. My advice with current leadership you might be smart to learn Chinese.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I assume Greatstar bought all of Shop Vac's assets and will make the most of them. They'll want to continue to supply Shop Vac's customers and they'll maintain a US sales and service operation. This has to be at least a little better than Shop Vac closing down and disappearing altogether.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Ed in Tampa wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:27 am Apparently the shop vac was built to some degree in China. So it may be the same machine only this time you know where the parts came from. Let us face it, you can hardly buy anything that was not manufactured at least in part in China. My advice with current leadership you might be smart to learn Chinese.
I agree. I don't remember, but I think Shopsmith had USA, China and Vietnam for locations around the world. There were still 400 employees in PA, out of 1700 worldwide, before the ShopVac bankruptcy. Presumably most of those 400 employees were in manufacturing, so there was some amount of manufacture here before with ShopVac. I doubt that will be the case going forward. What impressed me most with ShopVac was their willingness to stand behind their product. When my ShopVac motor burned up (from using it as a full time dust collector), the company sent me a new one with no questions asked. I was impressed with the replacement product. The cord was even longer than the original and thicker gauge, but also it was more powerful. I had measured the airspeed of the old one using my anemometer and when I tested the new motor it had higher airspeed than the old ShopVac. So, not only did they replace the motor assembly, but the new one was more powerful! I really appreciate a company that stands behind their product like this. I kind of doubt GreatStar will do the same. Not many of these kinds of companies anymore that offer flawless support unfortunately.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
judaspre1982
Platinum Member

Post by judaspre1982 »

so where are the red flags in relation to the political reference in the post above?????
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

judaspre1982 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:47 am so where are the red flags in relation to the political reference in the post above?????
What exactly is your objection here? No political reference was made.
📶RF Guy

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

One person's factual statements are another's political statements.

Yep it resides in the eye of the beholder.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

JPG,

Well, I tend to believe that facts are facts, but I guess these days everyone has their own "truth". I didn't realize the forum had gotten acquired by Facebook. My apologies...I just didn't understand WHAT they were objecting to.
:cool:
📶RF Guy

roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

judaspre1982 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:47 am so where are the red flags in relation to the political reference in the post above?????
The U.S., China, and Viet Nam flags all contain red.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
davebodner
Gold Member

Post by davebodner »

RFGuy isn't the target of his comment.