Not quite woodworking but still a shelf project....

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Not quite woodworking but still a shelf project....

Post by reible »

I want to put a shelf under my computer table for a couple of thing and wanted to use some metal shelving like this:

https://www.menards.com/main/storage-or ... 27&ipos=14

It looks good but it is too tall. With the feet on it I measure 30-3/8", but the table edge sets at 26-1/2". I didn't know if this would work but since the tubes made with ridges every inch (or so) and a tube cutter makes a similar ridge when cutting tubing..... well you can guess where this is going. I was able to cut the tubes down to 26" and have a custom height now.
cuttube.jpg
cuttube.jpg (168.82 KiB) Viewed 1667 times
This pretty much is a no brainier for these, not sure all brands will be the same??

Have two cut and two to go. Sore wrist so might wait until tomorrow to do the other two. Sore wrist has nothing to do with this operation as it was sore way before I even thought of this idea.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Not quite woodworking but still a shelf project....

Post by DLB »

AndrewBriggs wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:05 am I bought a book in which you can find answers to many questions, especially a novice wood carver. I have always been interested in woodworking in school.
Not sure how this new member passed the new scrutiny. The blue line down where a signature might go (excluded from quote) is a hidden link. Not to a book with the answers to many questions... ;)

- David
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Edited that line out.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Next time simply purge the post(or not approve it).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange