Carter Guide

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Carter Guide

Post by rlkeeney »

I have a Shopsmith bandsaw with Carter Guide (Shopsmith-SHS1) installed. I wanted to see how complicated a cut I could make with this guide and a 1/8-inch blade. I hunted for the most complex 3D pattern I could find and came up with this chicken. Not once did I back up or cut any sort of clearance to turn the blade.

Bandsaw Rooster Fresh Off The Saw
Bandsaw Rooster Fresh Off The Saw
20210102 142807 Chicken-Rooster Carter Guide 2x4.resized.jpg (118.94 KiB) Viewed 3007 times
Bandsaw Rooster After a Bit of Sanding
Bandsaw Rooster After a Bit of Sanding
20210102 143747 Chicken-Rooster Carter Guide 2x4.resized.jpg (96.57 KiB) Viewed 3007 times
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Carter Guide

Post by RFGuy »

Thanks Robert. Looks good. I have the Carter Guide (Shopsmith-SHS1) as well, but haven't gotten to trying it yet. I was wondering how much of a difference it would make when using a smaller blade. I keep my Carter SHSM-11 guides on mine, but will have to try the SHS1 next. Thanks for sharing this...good to know what can be accomplished with it.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Re: Carter Guide

Post by rlkeeney »

I purchased mine originally because I make toys and was hoping it would be faster cutting out the 1-1/2-inch thick car bodies. It is much faster, but the increased cutting speed is offset by the extra sanding I have to do. I don't use it as much as I had anticipated. I now have a project that I will be compound cutting from a 4-inch square block and I wanted to see how well it worked on something thick and complex before I started gluing up stock. After this test, I believe the project is doable by me.

I also use it for resawing small parts after they have been cut from thicker stock. I discovered that I could do this after cutting a large batch of fenders from 3/4-inch stock that should have been 1/3-inch thick.

I have two bandsaws, one setup for resawing and this one with the Carter Guide.

Resawing a fender.
Resawing a fender.
2018-02-11 15.37.43 Handmade Wooden Toys Resawing A Fenderr On A Bandsaw Bad bobs Custom Motors Bandsaw.resized.jpg (312.33 KiB) Viewed 2905 times
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory