Sanding smooth inlay

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bainin
Platinum Member

Re: Sanding smooth inlay

Post by bainin »

For the routing, i left the bit flying about 1/16" above the actual board surface. I used the miter gauge to drive the board past the router bit while following just the inlay step. Once the inlays were all knocked down to about 1/16" above the board surface, I was able to just run through the planer in very small steps.
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

Thanks for the explanation of how you did it, and glad it worked so well.
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

OK! Now what is "it"?

8 x 12 'squares'?

Whatever it is it looks good!!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Aha- I was waiting for someone to take the bait :) It seems almost Karmic that it is the infamous Whatsit maker who couldn't resist...

I'll entertain some guesses ... 8x12 is certainly not for tic-tac-toe !
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

IF it were 5 x 15 I would have a 'guess'.

BTW What is there to 'resist'? I admit to being curious.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

You got it Ed ! Im surprised someone got it ... are you a history buff?

I'm using the Kowalski interpretation and rules.

b
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

bainin wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:05 pm ... are you a history buff?
Not really, I couldn't remember the name of it and didn't really know that 8x12 grids could be used.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

I'm getting closer now. One thing I havent learned well is the finishing steps. In this case its 2 or 3 coats of polyurethane, but im always wondering
how much sanding between layers is required or if its necessary at all. Between each coat here-I inspected the surface for defects etc and sanded them
a little with 400 grit paper before proceeding to the next coat.

GameBoard2.jpg
GameBoard2.jpg (117.5 KiB) Viewed 1144 times
b
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

JMO,, everyone has their own opinions about finishing, I finish gunstocks , head boards , puzzles for kids , picture frames etc , my best looking finishes seem to come after using 220 grit than going to 1000 grit wet sand paper wet with tong oils / linseed oils etc ,all the way up tp 3000 grit it is the same wet sand paper used for automotive and than, 0000 steel wool dipped in paste wax . each coat should require less sanding between coats ,it will leave a rock hard finish once it fully cures out . if you are using spray on poly then a good light sanding with steel wool between one and two coats should be good , steel wool in between will take out the small scratch marks and the dust particles and the poly should be thick enough to fill in any minor scratches . drying time between sanding and poly coats will be important . my .02
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)