Sanding smooth inlay

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bainin
Platinum Member

Sanding smooth inlay

Post by bainin »

hey guys - I've worked myself into a corner maybe :_)

I'm putting some walnut inlay into a board which happens to be a veneered plywood.

The inlays stick up proud of the surface and I want to have them flat with the veneer surface.

I'm concerned that if I go to sanding I will accidently remove the veneer.

besides going slow sanding, any other ideas ? Perhaps I could double stick tape them all to a board and run them thru the planer to thin them more?

You can see in the photo I managed to make the inlay flat with the veneer surface in the other direction (across the image) but this was done with
the box planer...and the board is too wide to send thru the planer in this new direction .

The inlays aren't attached yet to the board- they are flimsy - about 1/8" square.

I do have a hand held electric planer- perhaps that would be better than sanding?

I'm mostly interested in not damaging the ply veneer.

b
Attachments
board.jpg
board.jpg (59.92 KiB) Viewed 4360 times
reible
Platinum Member

Re: Sanding smooth inlay

Post by reible »

What about making a narrow version of the top for doing say a half dozen at a time then run that through your planner. No damage to the real piece and it should be too much work to make??

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

If the strips aren't glued in yet, could you cut (or route) the grooves deeper?

With or without deeper grooves, after strips are glued in a combination of small block plane, scraper, and sanding would be my choice.

For the scraper, something with a convex edge to lessen the chance of gouging the plywood veneer.
Attachments
P1060683resized.jpg
P1060683resized.jpg (272.2 KiB) Viewed 4290 times
Last edited by br549 on Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Can i rotate the board to some angle such that it fits thru the box planer? ...like this poor drawing tries to show?
Attachments
board1.jpg
board1.jpg (43.35 KiB) Viewed 4269 times
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

What are the dimensions? Have you calculated that angle? Are the inlays already glued? (If not I liked reible's idea.)

Drum sander - but that's not a typical home shop tool. Maybe a conical disc would work, but dimensions come into it.

I think a router would work.(?) Cut them very slightly proud and then RO sand them to final. The PowerPro could do this as an overhead router depending on the dimensions. Or if you have an overhead/overarm router that's probably better and would support larger dimensions. For a handheld I liked this jig Nick presents, he calls it a 'router plane' but that terminology was already taken, so maybe it is in jest. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS5PGsgxuQo You could do a simpler mod to a router plate, the main advantage to his is near the edges of the workpiece.

- David
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Thanks everyone - I'm gonna go stare at it and then try something :)

b
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

I think the overhead router is the one that will work best for this. Looking at my router table, hand router, hand planer etc all left me thinking that the tool shouldnt be resting on the inlay surface itself-as this becomes a questionable surface as the cutting begins.

The cutting head distance above the baord needs to be registered to backside of the board, rather than the front side. The backside of the board wont be changed-so provides a solid reference.

I still think that if I shave these down close enough and take baby steps- I may be able to feed the board thru the box planer at an angle for final surface.

Someone asked the dimensions of the board - it is 10" by 15" , I think my planer is 13 or 14" wide.

b
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I'd start with a block plane to cut those strips down much closer to the plywood. Then sanding to get close enough to use the planer.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

yea- I dont have many hand tools - including planes :)

Here is the result after overhead routing on the SS to reduce the inlay height, then going thru the planer at an angle.
board3.jpg
board3.jpg (114.96 KiB) Viewed 3946 times
Thanks for the guidance everyone !

b
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

That came out really nice! I am impressed that there is no damage to the veneer. How did you control the depth of cut while routing?
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser