Shopsmith 10ER Belts

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

MrDubz
Bronze Member

Shopsmith 10ER Belts

Post by MrDubz »

Hello, I am new to owning a shopsmith. I’ve owned it for 2 months now and have been just itching to start using it but I need new belts. My shopsmith had a jointer and I cannot figure out the correct belt size needed for the jointer. The main belt is attached but I want to be able to run the main belt for the drill press/lathe tool and also the jointer (I won’t be using them at the same time of course) but they are different sizes so I can’t just swap between the 2 easily.

Any suggestions? I will have a lot more questions about this incredible device as time goes on.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith 10ER Belts

Post by chapmanruss »

Welcome to the Shopsmith Forum.

The belt size for the jointer is a 32” Belt or 4L320. That is provided you have a Model 10 Shopsmith with the Model 4E Jointer set up as shown below.
__
10ER R64000 with Jointer.jpg
10ER R64000 with Jointer.jpg (77.37 KiB) Viewed 4495 times
The belt is not in place in the picture above but it goes on the special 5" motor pulley to the Jointer's pulley. Shown is the pulley arrangement on the motor when using a Speed Changer. Without the Speed Changer the 3 step pulley would be reversed.

Remember we are always here to help our fellow Shopsmith owners.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
MrDubz
Bronze Member

Post by MrDubz »

Thank you for the reply! Is there any good websites to buy spare parts? I have a shopsmith 10ER
MrDubz
Bronze Member

Post by MrDubz »

I need to get the setup you have. Mine isn’t like yours at all
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

MrDubz wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:22 pm I need to get the setup you have. Mine isn’t like yours at all
'His' is a bit rare.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

MrDubz wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:21 pm Thank you for the reply! Is there any good websites to buy spare parts? I have a shopsmith 10ER
Links to 10ER suppliers, and a lot more, can be found in this post.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/shopsmithdigital/about
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

It's mostly a matter of patience when trying to get the less common parts for the Model 10's. The 10ER shown in my picture above is the first Model 10 I restored. It got me hooked on restoring the Shopsmith tools which became a hobby in itself. I do enjoy woodworking but have really found it enjoyable giving these old tools new life. That Model 4E Jointer setup came with the 4th Model 10 I purchased to restore. I kept the Jointer setup for my Model 10ER and sold the restored 10ER. I have seen from time to time parts for the Jointer Mounting Kit for sale. I even have an extra Hinge Plate just in case. As another Forum Member found out his families Model 10 & Jointer fell off a pickup when being moved and broke the ears off the Hinge Plate. If you are not using a Speed Changer the motor pulley can be replaced with a 4 step pulley with 2", 3", 4" and 5" steps instead of the special sleeve and 2 pulley setup shown in my picture in the post above.

One thing I neglected to mention in my previous post is the Model 620 Jointer with the SPT mounting posts that replaced the Model 4E Jointer can be mounted on the Model 10's with the same mounting Headrest/Bracket setup. The 620 Jointer has holes for the Model 10 mounting setup's Hinge Plate. Those holes were discontinued with the change to the 620-C Jointer.

The bad thing about finding parts for the Model 10's and their related accessories like the 4E Jointer is there is one less complete setup left. One good thing in this case, if you can call it good, is some Model 10 owners added the 620 Jointer to their Model 10 using the Jointer Mounting Kit and not the SPT mounting posts making more of these parts originally sold than the Model 4E Jointer. The Model 620 Jointers can always be used with the SPT mounting posts even on the Model 10's with the SPT adapter. Of course that creates another problem of finding the needed parts for using the SPT on a Model 10. There are newly made parts for this from Skip Campbell at MKC Tools and maybe others so there are options.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
MrDubz
Bronze Member

Post by MrDubz »

So do I need that extension in order to use my jointer? Because I do not have one. I only have the regular 10ER setup without all those sweet attachments you have lol. Where can I buy those speed changer drive sprockets and such? I seen the fb page and joined it also.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The speed changer uses the 'stock' drive shaft and motor cone pulleys, but the motor pulley is reversed.

I am unclear as to what you actually have. A pix will resolve that.

Do you have a 4E jointer and the unique head rest?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I agree with JPG that we need to see some pictures of what you have to be able to help you further. In your post on the 17th you said
I need to get the setup you have. Mine isn’t like yours at all
So with that I cannot help much without just trying to guess what you do and do not have. If you have the Model 4E Jointer and a Speed Changer you need the setup like I have. If you have a Model 620-C Jointer or later model you need the SPT mounting setup. If you have a Model 620 Jointer you can use either setup.

If you need help in posting pictures here, there is a thread on the Community page near the top titled "How to Post a Picture".
Russ

Mark V 520