Disc sander vs Belt Sander

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Cliffy
Gold Member

Disc sander vs Belt Sander

Post by Cliffy »

Is there any need for both?

If you had only one which one would it be?
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Disc sander vs Belt Sander

Post by dusty »

Cliffy wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:49 am Is there any need for both?

If you had only one which one would it be?
A need. Probably not. I have both and use them frequently. I also have a drum sander and often wish I had a strip sander.

I would probably have to say I use the belt sander the most.

Don't forget to consider a conical disk sander vs the flat disk.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Both are excellent and I'd hate to have to choose only one.

I use the disc sander with the quill feed stop and a backing fence (or fence stop on miter gauge extension) to sand things to identical lengths, which is a great feature when making frames. The disc clogs relatively quickly, however.

The belt sander is excellent at shaping and hogging off a lot material.

You can't have too many sanding tools in my opinion. In fact, it often seems like woodworking is 80% sanding.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

algale wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:06 am
You can't have too many sanding tools in my opinion. In fact, it often seems like woodworking is 80% sanding.
Measure twice, cut once, then sand it down to size.

In the collection, Shopsmith disk, belt, and (recently acquired) strip sander, various small drum and flap sanders, big 15" drum sander being refurbed, Porter-Cable profile sander, Craftsman hand-held belt sander and orbital sander, one of those oscillating tools, plus a small HF sand blasting cabinet. Recently deceased, a 40 year old Craftsman reciprocating sander.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

algale wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:06 am Both are excellent and I'd hate to have to choose only one.

I use the disc sander with the quill feed stop and a backing fence (or fence stop on miter gauge extension) to sand things to identical lengths, which is a great feature when making frames. The disc clogs relatively quickly, however.

The belt sander is excellent at shaping and hogging off a lot material.

Al, have you tried Shopsmith’s ceramic discs? I almost never have those things clog. Or even wear noticeably, unless I use them to grind steel.

Cliffy, I have four sanding discs, so that I don’t have to change the paper to get whatever grit I need. Highly recommended. A sanding disc gives a lot of bang for the buck, especially if you can pick them up used.

I also have a clean-looking belt sander that I bought used maybe five years ago, and a full complement of belts. But I’ve never taken the time to set it up and see if it’s in need of refurb. So I must not need it very badly.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

algale wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:06 am The disc clogs relatively quickly, however.
An abrasive cleaning stick will unclog disks and belts quickly and easily.
BuckeyeDennis wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:29 am Cliffy, I have four sanding discs, so that I don’t have to change the paper to get whatever grit I need. Highly recommended. A sanding disc gives a lot of bang for the buck, especially if you can pick them up used.
I've had 2 set up for a while with different grits, and just picked up an old aluminum disk with a 10ER so I can have another grit ready. I used to have a big double sided disk, you could mount a sandpaper ring on the back side with a different grit. It looked a lot like a disk brake rotor. Not sure what I'd use for a 3rd grit, with both the belt and strip sander in addition I don't see doing much fine sanding with the disk anymore.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Every shop and every woodworker are different. I have both the Shopsmith sanding disc and belt sander. I have used them in the past, but not as much these days. IF I had a larger shop with multiple Mark V's, I would probably have one dedicated to each and use them a lot more. I have what I consider to be a small shop and only a single Mark V. As such, I find it more convenient to bring the sander to the work, rather than the other way around. So, I tend to use portable sanders more than I use these on my Mark V any more. It is also a bit dependent on what projects you are working on whether a disc sander vs. belt sander vs. other sanders are more useful to you.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

BuckeyeDennis wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:29 am
Al, have you tried Shopsmith’s ceramic discs? I almost never have those things clog. Or even wear noticeably, unless I use them to grind steel.
No, I have a supply of the regular discs.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

For me it depends on the sanding job. Unless you bought your Shopsmith used and it was missing they all came with the Sanding Disk from the factory. It is a useful and relatively inexpensive sander. I have several and keep different grits on them. I also have the Conical Sanding Disk, actually 4, one of which I keep ready for Jointer or Planer Knife Sharpening. I have the Belt Sander, Strip Sander, Drum Sanders and portable sanders. As was said before it depends on the task at hand. Read up on the different sanders and how they can be used to decide which is best for your needs.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I have both. I use the belt sander heavily on all projects. I haven't used the disc sander in years. But, that is my preference.