Which tool do you fear the most?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edflorence
Platinum Member

Re: Which tool do you fear the most?

Post by edflorence »

dusty wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:47 am I have great respect for the jointer but never a fear
Likewise. I have a lot of respect for the bumps on top of the jointer fence. Hands are never placed between them. Following this rule, so far so good. And of course any piece shorter than the distance between the bumps gets jointed with a different machine or a hand plane.

Ed in Idaho
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

dusty wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:47 am
Edge Jointing is a bit different but still demands respect.
This is the scary part of a joiner. I have avoided a lot of it using the table saw or the hand planer instead. Unless an edge is pretty flat already I'm not gonna try to pass it through the joiner.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
mulegandy99
Bronze Member

Post by mulegandy99 »

I have learned to be respectful of all tools. One of the best things I can do is keep my tools well maintained. Wax surfaces that need material to slllide across them, lube bearings and metal to metal friction zones and keep things sharp! It’s a dull blade that is more dangerous. Whether it’s a kitchen knife, chisel, router bit or saw blade, sharp is best. I try to never work angry or distracted. I know(as many have already said) that the majority of injuries are user error so I do my best to use tools properly and not put myself at more risk than I am willing to take, knowing the consequences if I make a mistake. Just because I’m an expert in my field, ie 10,000++++ hours actively using these tools, each time is a new time. With all that being said I truly enjoy my time creating with power tools! Respect, knowledge and confidence are key. If you go in to something scared you are more likely to make a mistake.

Know when to walk away/take a break. If you aren’t in the mood, are tired, hungry, distracted for Pete’s sake(and yours if your name isn’t Pete) step away, refocus. Even a few minutes of fresh air or a sit in the recliner can bring you back to a better state and help avoid a painful mistake. I’ve been fortunate to have few injuries and all minor but I don’t think it won’t/can’t happen to me. It can, so I approach each time in the shop with thought. Sometimes fast, some not so. I think about the project and how best to go about it. Then when I “go about it” I think about my tool and how I need to use it and proceed.
Did I know ALL the rules years ago, no. Do I know all the rules now? No. Always learning!! Safety first, then watch the wood change to the shape I want and become what I want. The joy of creating with power tools always makes me smile!
twistsol
Gold Member

Post by twistsol »

I respect, but don't fear any of my cutting tools because they behave in an expected manner. The cutting head, bit, or blade contains itself to a predefined area. My finish nailer on the other hand misbehaves. Both of these photos are from this weekend.

Photo 1. The nail hit something, made a u-turn, and came out of the wall directly at me. Years ago this happened and it came out of the wall right where I was holding the trim and went into the palm of my hand. Now I never hold the trim within 2x the length of the nails I'm using.
IMG_2134.jpeg
IMG_2134.jpeg (271.89 KiB) Viewed 1817 times
This second photo I managed to hit a drywall screw behind the trim piece. The curly section of the nail was inside the nailer which had to be disassembled to remove the nail.
IMG_2135.jpeg
IMG_2135.jpeg (615.54 KiB) Viewed 1817 times
Thanks much,

Chris Phelps
Cheap tools are too expensive
2x Mark 5 520 and a 10ER
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

I respect them all. I have often said that there isn’t one safety device or improvement on a Shopsmith that costs more than a single visit to an emergency room.

Yes you can cut off finger(s) even hands with a table saw or even a band saw. Some may be reattached and some may not.

That said, the most dangerous tool in the shop even with everything set up and aligned properly is the Jointer. If you get into a saw blade it generally slices things off. If you get into a jointer, it makes hamburger meat. There is no putting it back together.

Knowledge and discipline help. Attention to what you’re doing helps. Knowing that even the softest wood is far harder than any flesh is essential to not take lightly.

Safety First can only work if it’s first. If you will not invest in safety improvements for yourself, invest in them for your grandchildren who will someday inherit your tools.

Everett
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

BuckeyeDennis wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:01 pm
For me, the scariest tool is a circle cutter, in drill-press mode. It definitely has it’s uses, but I will only use mine in concert with my speed reducer, at 100 RPM. And even then, I clamp the workpiece very securely, wear goggles, and I don’t get any closer to it than the power switch and the quill-feed lever.

B7EC3C26-4C1C-449F-9028-D6CF0809AD8C.jpeg
I ran across this post while searching for info on the speed reducer. Compass bits like that scare me too. I tore open my hand a long time ago on the point to one of those. The bit wasn't moving but my hand was and that chisel point was really sharp. I realized from that incident what that bit could do if it was moving and I've only used them with extreme caution. In my book you'll find them next to the wood carving chainsaw wheel for a grinder, in the chapter on titled Widow Makers.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
wrmnfzy
Platinum Member

Post by wrmnfzy »

Circle cutter. I was using one when the cutter end flew off and put a pretty good (bad choice of words) hole in the paneling in my work shop. I was lucky it didn’t come in my direction as it would have definitely penetrated my body.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

My wife likes to watch HGTV. I have to admit that I like it too. Some good advice comes on a show that she watches called Hometown. In the mail lead's shop there is a sign that says "The best safety device is a careful worker". Certainly words to live by.
Bill V
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Knock on wood, I've yet to be bit by any power tool. I did have a near miss with a circular saw. I was in high school, working on building a set for a play, cutting plywood at just about crotch height. Inadequate support of the work piece caused the saw to kick back. The teeth of the blade traced a skipping arc right back at me. Another inch or two and I might not have kids.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

cham-ed
Gold Member

Post by cham-ed »

I worked at a place that had a 7 1/2 HP Dewalt radial arm saw. RS of any kind make me uncomfortable. But that monster scared me. I think it was just because it was big (if i remember right a 22" blade)