Which tool do you fear the most?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bainin
Platinum Member

Which tool do you fear the most?

Post by bainin »

Sure they are all dangerous and require proper awareness..but I find my router is the tool that puts me most on edge- no pun intended !

Its strange as I havent had any dangerous moments with it, but i use it alot less than other tools-so maybe the unfamiliarity plays into it.

b
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Which tool do you fear the most?

Post by dusty »

I have been "injured" just once (cuts, scratches and bruises excepted) but the shaper got me good. I have great respect for the shaper even though it was all brought about by user error.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

I have always heard that the table saw is responsible for the most shop accidents, so it gets my respect and attention every time I use it. That said, anything that spins at high speed and/or has sharp edges is rightly to be...well, maybe not feared...but approached with an abundance of caution.

Ed in Idaho
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Jointer comes to mind.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I don't fear any one tool more than another. I actually don't FEAR any of them. I do respect what they can do and treat them accordingly. I say this even though I cut the tip of my middle finger off right at the knuckle of my left hand on the table saw due to a kick back. Totally my fault. It was in the late 60's and I was in my early 20's. At the time I was working for my uncle at the Berlin Lumber Co. in Berlin, PA. I also damaged my index finger and my ring finger. The doctor sewed the tip of my middle finger back on and it actually healed. It took about 18 months to stop hurting and about 3 years to not be sensitive to touch but after that it worked fine and still does.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

ouch! Score another for the ts.

One of my worst in the shop, not counting kick backs from the ts that missed me by a hair, was when I took the edge of a thumb off with a box cutter...I was holding a straight edge down with the left hand and pulling the knife along the straight edge with the right. I had that left hand in front of where the knife was cutting and when the knife hit a hard spot or knot in the thin piece of luan ply I was cutting it jumped over the hard spot and surgically removed a disk o' thumb not quite the size of a dime. I now use a shopsmith hold-down block in those situations.

Ed in Idaho
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

The tool I fear the most is my wife's VETO button on shop purchases.
;)
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

RFGuy wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:57 pm The tool I fear the most is my wife's VETO button on shop purchases.
;)
I am glad I don't have that problem. :)
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

unrelated to woodworking-but ending in bloody damage - i was training a technician in a lab how to dis-assemble an LED package with a small exacto thru a microscope. She was on the trainer scope and i was on the main doing my knife magic thru the scope zoomed way in...all of a sudden the whole view field was red haha..i had inadvertently slice thru my finger and bled all over the training :)

Didnt even feel it.

b
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

If it's sharp I'm skeered of it. If it's sharp and spins, I'm terrified! May be an over statement, but I have had my share of blood letting episodes, resulting in an abundance of caution.