Back to the glue pot

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Re: Back to the glue pot

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Those hinges look great, Hobbyman! I don't know what the finish would have looked like when new, but they sure look more authentic than chrome or shiny brass.

On the sliding dovetails, are the "dovetail ways" attached to one of the boards, or do they slide on both sides (with some sort of travel limiter)? From the pics, they appear to fit tightly in one side (only).
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Thanks BuckeyeDennis , the male dovetails appear to be cut and inserted separately and attached only on each end to one of the slides . they do not appear to be cut the same length as the slides , there is a dowel pin inserted in the slides for a stop .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Getting closer this is the first trial fit .
20210326_170744.jpg
20210326_170744.jpg (427.12 KiB) Viewed 1645 times
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

last night was interesting , managed to get a couple good coats of shellac on the tables top side , while waiting on the shellac to dry I decided to finish cleaning up the casters, I noticed one of the wheels on the casters was too large, so I used the Dremel and ground the end off the bad wheel's axle , made a new axle from a #8 nail ,switched out the wheel with one with a broken caster, haven't used a ballpein hammer on anything that small for many many years , glad I didnt break the caster body while I was smashing the ends flat , sort of felt like a blacksmith for a minute . going to allow the table to dry over night , do a final sand tomorrow and give it a final coat or 2 of finish , used a spray gun to apply the shellac instead of brushing it on , so far it has sucked up 2 quarts of sealer 3 quarts of shellac and about 1/4 gallon of denatured alcohol , all of the sliding parts have been coated with bees wax and are sliding like new money .
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

the table is progressing slowly , now have 4 coats of shellac on the table and looks like it can withstand a couple more , the temperature dropped last night and things cooled down , the wood and shellac need to be above 65 deg fht in order to set up properly, right now it is around 50 . the garage is heating up and things should be ok some time this evening for the next coat , tried to upload a few pictures but the files were too large , will see if I can shrink them to fit .
KayBur
Silver Member

Post by KayBur »

Hobbyman2 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:31 am last night was interesting , managed to get a couple good coats of shellac on the tables top side , while waiting on the shellac to dry I decided to finish cleaning up the casters, I noticed one of the wheels on the casters was too large, so I used the Dremel and ground the end off the bad wheel's axle , made a new axle from a #8 nail ,switched out the wheel with one with a broken caster, haven't used a ballpein hammer on anything that small for many many years , glad I didnt break the caster body while I was smashing the ends flat , sort of felt like a blacksmith for a minute . going to allow the table to dry over night , do a final sand tomorrow and give it a final coat or 2 of finish , used a spray gun to apply the shellac instead of brushing it on , so far it has sucked up 2 quarts of sealer 3 quarts of shellac and about 1/4 gallon of denatured alcohol , all of the sliding parts have been coated with bees wax and are sliding like new money .
Sounds cool. Will you show me a photo of the product you are working on later?
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

now the polishing begins , the wood is sealed and final sanding has been done , now the French polishing begins. the temps have been rather cool at night, woke up this morning to see ice in the mud puddles . drying is slow as to be expected, maybe even slower do to the temps and humidity flocculating so much .
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

!
Last edited by Hobbyman2 on Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

20210402_150213.jpg
20210402_150213.jpg (284.18 KiB) Viewed 1513 times
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member