Recent MDF prices??

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Recent MDF prices??

Post by jsburger »

john wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:54 pm Another pandemic effect

We gave our daughter and son-in-law an IOU for a raised planter box for Christmas. I thought I would be making It from cedar which was selling for about $12 for an eight foot deck board last fall. Spring is here and I stared planning. Cedar is now selling for $18+ and I need at least 12 lengths plus a bottom.

Treated wood is selling for $11+ so I guss she will get a cheaper version. Even though new treated wood is supposed to be safe. I wiil be lining the sides with plastic for safety reasons.

Have fun and stay safe!

John
Safe for people but is it safe for pants???
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

If I recall there was a issue with the FEMA trailers that were shipped to Fl and the south after Katrina hit , something about the wood used contained formaldehyde and was a health issue . MDF. MDF is an engineered lumber product made of sawdust bonded together with a urea-formaldehyde adhesive. http://www.props.eric-hart.com/safety/i ... d-for-you/
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

There is an article today on a local news station site. They indicate that this lumber shortage is due to the pandemic that has caused the supply to decrease while demand has increased at the same time.
I'm guessing that if we are patient for a year or so, things will likely improve.
https://www.kfyrtv.com/2021/03/17/spike ... omebuyers/

For now, woodworkers like us need to rely on the extra wood we picked up in the past and put on the shelf. I'm fully appreciating now that I bought 80 bd ft of walnut last week and put it in my garage. Also, my plywood rack looks good with scraps and half sheets of various pieces that I can fall back on for now.