Recent MDF prices??

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Recent MDF prices??

Post by reible »

I've been shopping for a 3/4 x 2' x 4' piece of MDF. Several stores had none. HD had some but for a lot more then I paid last time..........
mdfhigh.jpg
mdfhigh.jpg (131.01 KiB) Viewed 1625 times
They had only self service lanes at this store so I really didn't want to support that and then there was the price. Might have to rethink my hobbies.

So I was wondering if this is local or everywhere??

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Re: Recent MDF prices??

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

My local store has been charging high prices for pre-cut sheets of everything. But a full sheet of 3/4” MDF is only about $30, and they’ll gladly cut it up for you on their panel saw. I don’t recall ever being charged for breaking down sheet. So those pre-cut sheets are about double the full-sheet broken down price.

At my store, people buying lumber are welcome check out at the contractor register, even if they’re not contractors.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

MDF seems to be in short supply right now. Also, it seems to me that plywood has been high priced this Winter.
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

Just an a result of the overall lumber shortage and pricing spike. Commodity lumber prices on the futures market this time last year were about $350 and now they are a $1000. Construction grade plywood has taken the biggest hit with redwood and Douglas fir 2x4s not far behind, all things needed to build a house.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

sehast wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:25 am Just an a result of the overall lumber shortage and pricing spike. Commodity lumber prices on the futures market this time last year were about $350 and now they are a $1000. Construction grade plywood has taken the biggest hit with redwood and Douglas fir 2x4s not far behind, all things needed to build a house.

Redwood?????
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:16 am
sehast wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:25 am Just an a result of the overall lumber shortage and pricing spike. Commodity lumber prices on the futures market this time last year were about $350 and now they are a $1000. Construction grade plywood has taken the biggest hit with redwood and Douglas fir 2x4s not far behind, all things needed to build a house.

Redwood?????
Absolutely...ideal for certain projects.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/2-in-x-4-in ... /100024257
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

There's plenty of redwood out there. Someone near here is selling a truckload of it but I have no idea where it came from. I've been looking for a small piece to use on the door to my pizza oven. I hope it's all from trees that fall naturally. You can get one huge pile of lumber out of one redwood tree.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Menards finally got in some, well two sheets at my local store. I went and got one of them, was tempted to buy them both but maybe someone else is really needing one so I just took the one. The price was more reasonable at $10.64 and they have their 11% off rebate sale going on so......

Anyway I not I have the material that I need, now just waiting on improved weather conditions to get at the project.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

JPG wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:16 am
Redwood?????
I just found some redwood this past weekend. But not the regular stuff, this is Dawn Redwood, Metasequoia, a related species from China. It is excellent for outdoor durability, but much lighter than Sequoia redwoods, more like Cedar in density. I got a whole flitch from a guy who cut one down on his property 5 years ago. Probably not good for an oven door, but plenty of other uses around my outdoor kitchen.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Another pandemic effect

We gave our daughter and son-in-law an IOU for a raised planter box for Christmas. I thought I would be making It from cedar which was selling for about $12 for an eight foot deck board last fall. Spring is here and I stared planning. Cedar is now selling for $18+ and I need at least 12 lengths plus a bottom.

Treated wood is selling for $11+ so I guss she will get a cheaper version. Even though new treated wood is supposed to be safe. I wiil be lining the sides with plastic for safety reasons.

Have fun and stay safe!

John