it's a shallop

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wa2crk
Platinum Member

it's a shallop

Post by wa2crk »

Hi Gang

In 1607 when Capt. John Smith landed in the Virginia colonies at the mouth of the Chesapeake
Bay, he brought with him a shallop - a shallow-draft boat, principally rowed or sailed, for use in
exploring the Chesapeake Bay areas. The boat was about 30 feet in length, built in England,
sawed in half and carried in 2 pieces on a larger ship. Upon arrival the two pieces were rowed
ashore and joined together and then used by Capt. Smith to explore the shallow Chesapeake
bay
Last year, one of our members, Bob Johnson was contacted by representatives of Hancock
Reservation, a group of Maryland volunteers who were restoring and maintaining an 18th
century Maryland historic farming estate located on the Chesapeake Bay
(www.hancockreservation.org). They asked Bob to build a replica of Capt. Smith’s shallop for
their museum. This is Bob's effort
bob's boat - Copy.jpg
bob's boat - Copy.jpg (73.28 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
Bill V
This boat was NOT built from a kit. Just from photos of the remains of an original and all hand done
bainin
Platinum Member

Re: it's a shallop

Post by bainin »

very nice work - did they use a shallop to harvest scallop? =)
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

I don't know about scallops but they did use it to harvest oysters and reportedly clams as well. The fellow who built this boat has also built about a dozen models of various working boats used in the Chesapeake Bay. I got a real history lesson talking to him.
Bill V
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Wooden ship building is a wonder to me. yesterday my cat put his front paws on something I had built and broke the top off it haha.
Its a long way from that to making a seaworthy wooden object !
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Nice job, the timing is incredible here , we started watching a series on netflix titled TURN , its time table is the 1700's and the war of our nations independence , I may be wrong however I believe the movie shows those exact same boats .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

My wife and I watched the entire series of TURN. We both grew up in central Long Island so we were familiar with all the town names. Did not notice the boats then but would not be surprised if they the same. Lots of clamming and oystering on LI. Oyster Bay on Long Island is appropriately named.
Bill V