Laminate cutting all by itself

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Re: Laminate cutting all by itself

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Couple questions, Ed:
1. Just how much “kerf width” can you afford, and still get all of your pieces out of one sheet?
2. Are the dimensions of all pieces identical?
3. Do you really have 14 grandkids? 😎

I’m wondering if you could rough-cut the sheet with a track saw or whatever, and then “pad-shape” all the pieces to final dimension. The painters tape plus CA glue technique could work well here.

I’m thinking a strip of painters tape around the border of each rough-cut workpiece, both sides. Apply CA glue to the painters tape layer by layer, and build up a multi-layer “pad” of the workpieces. When finished, it’s basically a stack of workpieces that’s “solid” around the edges, in tbe sense that plywood is solid. But your “plies” will be laminate, tape, and a bit of CA glue. Then joint, saw, route, sand, or what-have-you the edges of the pad to final dimension. When done, peel it apart at the tape layers.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Re ghosting. We have an inexpensive white board in our kitchen that we use to write down things that need to go on our shopping list.
Some pen colours erase better than others but all ghost. I use a Mr. Clean MagicEraser. Using it dry for day to day use gets almost all marks. Used damp it cleans off everything. I have even used it to get off permanent marker that was used by mistake Works way better than the felt erasers
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I used a 8 x 34 blank for my guess at how many parts I can get out of a sheet. I don't think that is to unreasonable a blank size for planning purposes. So a large kerf size compared to my nominal dimensions.

I only have access to 1/2 of the area now and while I expect the sizes to be reasonably constant there might be a couple of tweaks to be made when I actually measure each location. I'd really like them to be all the same but that might be hoping for too much. I do expect most of them to be the same with only a couple of them being slightly off. I will be making a detailed drawing for each one that is different by more then some tolerance to be determined.

I'm a few short on the 14, holding at 11 now and it maybe staying that way?????

I like the idea of stacking them if I can find even a few common sizes, if not all the same sizes, still it would work pretty well as a few stacks.

More good thoughts.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

We have a message board, may a foot by 18" that we purchased about 20 years ago and purchased the Sanford bright sticks fluorescent markers because the board was black. The white boards at work would do the ghosting so I figured the black wouldn't have the problem and it didn't. But now I have not seen those markers in years, maybe you can order them but not in the stores we shop at. And I have no idea where the board is???? Sort of fell out of favor and got stuck somewhere.

I've seen the Mr Clean product but have never purchased any. Will have to keep this in mind if and when the white boards get into use. I think I've seen it in the Menard's store?

Ed
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

We don't have Menard's in Canada, but any store that has cleaning products should have them. I think you can even get knock offs from the dollar store, but the ones I tried didn't work as well.
For most cleaning jobs they are used wet,
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Magic Eraser is melamine sponge. Inexpensive versions of it are abundant. It has a mild abrasive effect and works like a rubber eraser removing surface contaminants in residue from the eraser.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Regarding refreshing older whiteboards...I think it comes down to what kind of material is used for the whiteboard. I think I tried Magic Eraser and it didn't solve the problem for the old whiteboards I had to use. Not saying it won't work, but just didn't work for me at that time. When I researched it before many online claimed that a good quality carnauba (car) wax would refresh older whiteboards so that they ghosted less and erased more easily. Didn't work when I tried it, but if you dig deeper on the internet you'll find others had mixed results too. Another remedy often touted is WD-40, but I didn't try it. I had conference rooms with very large fixed, permanent mounted whiteboards. Windows don't open in most commercial buildings. It took a long time to air out the car wax so I couldn't imagine spraying a large quantity of WD-40 in there and having to smell it for days. I would assume either product is supposed to fill in the pores of the whiteboard surface making it harder for the marker to attach and ghost, but if car wax didn't work I can't imagine WD-40 would have for my case. IF anyone is interested there is a link below showing how someone tested a few products and WD-40 worked the best for them.

My opinion is that ghosting is more of a problem with the low odor dry erase markers commonly sold today. When I used the high odor markers they seemed much less likely to ghost but they do smell (similar to applying polyurethane without a mask) :( . I never used the fluorescent markers, but I included a link below. Maybe these are what you are looking for Ed?

https://www.makerjosh.com/best-way-clea ... s-9-tests/

https://mywhiteboards.com/fluormar.html
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Yes those are the vary same markers down to the item number. The last set I got were less then $10. You wipe these off with a damp cloth but a dry erase gets most of it off.

I did find the markers, might even be a fresh pack but years old so more then likely dry. Still no sign of the board.
markers.jpg
markers.jpg (174.66 KiB) Viewed 1871 times
Will give amazon a look later today to see what if any price they might have for them. Might be fun to get the board out and start using it again, well if I can find it.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The lead time on a lot of items I want from Festool has been so long that I have thought about redoing my shopping plan and moving something to next years list and deciding what other tools might then be purchased this year. I had not sat down to do that yet but now I have to rethink that as well.

The blade that was shown as arriving after July 6 came in stock a couple of days ago and it arrived today. Now if all the dates are really just guesses and tools might start showing up a lot sooner then I would like to stick with my plan. I guess I can wait a couple more months and see what happens.

Another thing of interest was that I was out at Rural King a few weeks back and wanted to check out(hands on) some of the Dewalt tools I was thinking about. They had almost none. Thought perhaps they were no longer going to sell Dewalt..... Over hear another customer asking about Dewalt and the sales guy said they just could get any in. I was back there today and a sea of yellow. Not a lot of any one item but a lot of yellow boxes on the shelf.

Like wise the couple of Dewalt tools that I had been waiting on became available all of a sudden so what ever was going on seems to have improved. Maybe the Festool thing will be the same. Can only hope.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Finally got on this project. I did have to order the material online. It did as expected come in a box where it was rolled up and protected.
lam1.jpg
lam1.jpg (354.34 KiB) Viewed 1011 times
lam2.jpg
lam2.jpg (249.83 KiB) Viewed 1011 times
lam3.jpg
lam3.jpg (228.19 KiB) Viewed 1011 times
You can see the memory as it was unrolled:
lam5.jpg
lam5.jpg (353.86 KiB) Viewed 1011 times
Even sometime later it still had a bit of a memory:
lam6.jpg
lam6.jpg (344.5 KiB) Viewed 1011 times
At about this point the sky darkened and it looked like it could rain so I had to go into super mode and get it cut up. Sorry no pictures.

I used my track saw and the new blade in the saw and it cut beautiful. Nicer then I had even hoped for.

The cut pieces still have the curl but still have a few days before I will be putting them on so fingers crossed they go flat or the curl doesn't effect the procedure.

The cut pieces were for half the project and I ended up with about a 1/4" strip that was waste. I found that all the lengths were the same and then 3 height versions so not to bad. The other half will be a while since it a destruction project before I can get the measurements. At least it is now in manageable sizes I can store.

I can't say how other equipment might fair doing this but I was impressed at how easy and nice the pieces came out. Oh yea, no rain.....

Ed