2nd Game Board

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bainin
Platinum Member

2nd Game Board

Post by bainin »

The Lucus Lucularnum board (previous post)is actually quite a hit at the house here.

One of the teens was inspired by this and asked for help on another old Roman game (i forget the name at the moment)
but its been great getting him down in the shop with me working out wood problems. Those areas we agree on
have been in short supply for a few years-so to get him back a little and spend some time man to man is a pleasure .

Following a similar vein to the last board- we are routing a channel in red oak plywood for walnut inlay.

I convinced him that overhead routing wasn't dangerous and got his hand on the SS - a step in the right direction :)
gameboard4.jpg
gameboard4.jpg (82.55 KiB) Viewed 2584 times
He had a great idea to magnetize the board and play pieces and press fitted some small permanent magnets to create the effect he wanted.
gameboard3.jpg
gameboard3.jpg (117.45 KiB) Viewed 2584 times
Proceeding to the inlays- we needed to recess the circular walnut board points to accommodate the magnets-we didn't route the press fit holes in the board deep enough.
gameboard2.jpg
gameboard2.jpg (112.11 KiB) Viewed 2584 times
Here it is almost complete-showing the magnetic force the magnets exert-play pieces self locating and hanging vertically in space on the board.
Play pieces are mahogany and birch (?) with press magnets in their bases.
gameboard1.jpg
gameboard1.jpg (105.97 KiB) Viewed 2584 times
I will post a final pic once he is done with polyurethane on everything.

b
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: 2nd Game Board

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Like !
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
KayBur
Silver Member

Post by KayBur »

It looks cool. Which game is this board for?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

WHAT is the border???
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
john_001
Gold Member

Post by john_001 »

Very clever. I like the hidden magnet idea. You've reminded me of playing "Nine Men's Morris" as a kid, lo these many years ago.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

JPG wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:39 am WHAT is the border???
I wanna know too.

It looks very nice. I remember your other board, you must like obscure games, but it's a little more interesting than yet another chess board.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

I found the game's name(s), Nine Men's Morris (among others) at Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_men%27s_morris

bainin: your son did a great job. Putting the magnets under each spot is a brilliant idea.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

The border is called Leopard Wood. Pretty nice material to work with, very fine dust.
Thank you for the game name - I'm gonna do my research so I can beat him on the first game !

Heres a link to look at :

https://www.woodcraft.com/blog_entries/ ... 0nutrients.

b
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Nice Job!

Others have said everything that one can say, especially the comments on thje magnets.

John
john_001
Gold Member

Post by john_001 »

If your family likes old board games, you might try making a board for "Hounds and Jackals", which is probably the oldest board game in the world - from 2000 BC in Egypt. In addition to the board and playing pegs, it also uses a unique counting device instead of dice: four half-cylinder sticks (flat on one side and rounded on the other. They are tossed and play is counted according to how many sticks land flat vs rounded side up. The Met Museum in NYC has one from ancient Egypt with little cloven-hoof feet and a drawer for the playing pieces . https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/543867