2nd Game Board

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bainin
Platinum Member

Re: 2nd Game Board

Post by bainin »

Oh thats a neat one John_001 !

Carving those hound and jackal heads though....not sure I'm artistic enough for that !
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Alright- he did 3 polyurethane coats and doesn't want to do more ...but it definitely came out great and we had a good time in the making of it.
These old games have alot more play depth and strategy to them than things like Monopoly and Candyland :)

Back of the board: Red Oak 3/4 Ply + Leopard Wood Border
back.jpg
back.jpg (137.89 KiB) Viewed 2780 times
Pieces for the board - Mahogany and Maple with press fit permanant magnet
pieces.jpg
pieces.jpg (143.37 KiB) Viewed 2780 times
Front of the board : Red Oak ply + Walnut circles + Wenge lines
front.jpg
front.jpg (146.57 KiB) Viewed 2780 times
One issue we had and didnt fix was small gaps between wenge lines and red oak where glue didnt fill in fully. I had considered
pressing in some glue with dark sawdust-but was afraid of doing any extra sanding on the ply-you can go thru those veneers pretty quickly.

b
Darcibat86
Bronze Member

Post by Darcibat86 »

I remember having this game in our house when I grew up. The game is called Cowboy Checkers. I can’t remember the rules, though. My father and I played it for a few months until we got bored of it. Most of the time, we finished in a draw. Another board game we used to play was solitaire. It was a round piece of wood with holes and pins. It could be your next project.
MikiMouse
Bronze Member

Post by MikiMouse »

Darcibat86 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:32 am I remember having this game cheats in our house when I grew up. The game is called Cowboy Checkers. I can’t remember the rules, though. My father and I played it for a few months until we got bored of it. Most of the time, we finished in a draw. Another board game we used to play was solitaire. It was a round piece of wood with holes and pins. It could be your next project.
I spent my childhood playing Checkers with beer bottle caps. My father and uncles would play it, and I would sit and learn by watching them. I was ecstatic when I finally understood and defeated them.
Now I just randomly insert the disc and play 2-3 games for the sake of it, haha.
OP: It's difficult to explain, but it's doable. Continue to try. I know it sounds silly, but try to think 2-3 moves ahead to force the AI to play your strategy.
Last edited by MikiMouse on Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Nice and very creative . thanks for sharing I had never heard of leopard wood .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

Beautiful work!
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466