Adding turning length

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Adding turning length

Post by JPG »

Or a movable tail stock(lot lighter that a headstock).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

IMHO, longer bench and way tubes are the easiest way to go. Just buy the lengths you need and you are done. Heavier wall due to the added length. Will they be a little more expensive than kludging something else together with SS parts? Maybe, maybe not. You only need one head stock, one carriage and one tail stock. Which you already have. You are saying you are turning down paying jobs so just buy tubes of the length you need and get on with it. Again just my opinion.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
scollins
Gold Member

Post by scollins »

JPG,

You have followed me enough to know to know that I will ask others opinion, but I am always moving forward no manner what. I actually have a tail stock from an old Delta 1440. I tried mounting it on the short ways for my Nichols lathe and it fit perfectly. I have a 5' hiking staff that I am making for a customer that is the perfect trial run for modification that marries the two machines. The center point of the SS is only 1/2-3/4" lower than the Delta tailstock on the Nichols. I can either raise the SS or lower the Nichols (it has 4 leveling legs that pick it up off it's casters during use-Don't ask just google John Nichols lathes :) :) :) ). I will rough the staff down close to final taper then add the speed reducer to see what happens when I turn the SS on. If all goes well, then I may continue with the thought of connecting the two lathes. If I use a chuck on each end that should avoid the forces involving a live center if I turn a newel post or a longer column. I also just realized that the leveling bolts may be in a good position to securely connect the two at the base of the SS legs and the SS bottom tubes to Nichols short ways via some type of clamping system. This direction in my small shop gives me way more flexibilty than adding to the Nichols (but the Nichols definitely won't walk across the shop).

Check out my Instagram @scollinswoodworks to see how I drilled a 1.2x13.3/4" hole in the staff using the two machines. I'll post the pics here when I have time.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I said "lighter', not "heavier". :D

Sounds like a plan!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange