Right-Side Mounted Accessories

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DavidMcM
Gold Member

Right-Side Mounted Accessories

Post by DavidMcM »

I am new to Shopsmith. I am curious how many folks use accessories mounted on the right-side - i.e. right-side when looking at the side with the power switch. Do you need the PowerPro upgrade (with reverse) to mount accessories on the right side? Which accessories work well when mounted on the right side? For instance, can I mount the belt sander on the right side?

Any photos would be appreciated.
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Right-Side Mounted Accessories

Post by JPG »

The belt sander is intended to mount on either side since it has the drive shaft on both sides.

The JIG saw can mount on either side.
The compressor can mount on either side.(maybe)

The following MUST mount to the 'left' side or reverse direction(PowerPro) on the 'right' side.

Strip sander+
SCROLL saw
Band saw
Jointer
Planer*
Realize mounting on the 'right' side places the operating position BEHIND the SS.
* The planer mounted on the 'left' is operated from behind the SS.
+ The strip sander is run in reverse for lathe tool sharpening.

Did I omit any SPTs?

Bottom line is they are ALL intended to be mounted to the left. The right end is essentially for the lathe tailstock.

The Power Pro (and Mark VII) reversibility creates new options.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I have the power pro and I almost always use the band saw on the right because of how my shop is set up. You just have to remember to set up to run in reverse. That is the only regular use of SPT's on the right for me.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

JPG said,
The compressor can mount on either side.(maybe)
I checked the manuals for both the early (beginning in the 1950's) compressor and the later Campbell Hausfeld compressor. Neither addresses running the compressors in reverse. I have not tried running either one in reverse to check if they would work. Restoring the early compressor is still on my to do list.

JPG, I believe you covered all the SPT's.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The first compressor was a diaphram pump that I am sure can be reversed.

The Campbell Housfield I am unsure of. If mechanical valves are relevant, it likely cannot run both directions.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange