Woodpeckers Freehand guard and me

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Woodpeckers Freehand guard and me

Post by reible »

I've recently posted some threads on my compact router/sander table and most recent actually used the router table for a project. It has been clear to me that I need to have two things figured out before going too much farther on this idea. One was a bit guard and the other some better dust collection.

Both of those can be addressed with this item from Woodpecker. It still doesn't fix my bit guard and dust collection when using a fence but that will be another project at another time.

This is about what comes with the FHG:
wpfg1.jpg
wpfg1.jpg (146.36 KiB) Viewed 2718 times
This is designed to work on Woodpecker router plates and of course I have this odd shaped one from Rockler. You of course can adapt it to other router plates which of course is what I needed to do. They had recommended using one hole at "12:00" and another at "3:00". On this router plate there are other fasteners near those locations so I did a small rotation to avoid that area. I also added another hole at "9:00" with the same offset so I can mount it both locations. In fact I'm pretty sure that I will want it at that location and not so much the other. Here are the holes that I drilled:
wpfg2.jpg
wpfg2.jpg (162.13 KiB) Viewed 2718 times
This is their recommend location(just setting in the approximate location):
wpfg4.jpg
wpfg4.jpg (139.3 KiB) Viewed 2718 times
Here it is mounted in the other location with screws mounting it:
wpfg5.jpg
wpfg5.jpg (117.26 KiB) Viewed 2718 times
Then it was time to mount the router back on the plate after removing it for the drilling:
wpfg6.jpg
wpfg6.jpg (188.11 KiB) Viewed 2718 times
Next I need to make sure my locations worked with the router table, and they did:
wpfg7.jpg
wpfg7.jpg (244.44 KiB) Viewed 2718 times
For now I kluged together a hose attachment but I should be able to do better:
wpfg8.jpg
wpfg8.jpg (230.75 KiB) Viewed 2718 times
The other thing I want to look into is some sort of thread insert or ?? to avoid having the bolts and nuts and go back to a star knob just on the top. Looking for ideas???

At this point I don't have another router project lined up but I sure want to see how the dust collection will work out.........

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: Woodpeckers Freehand guard and me

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Nice how thick of a piece can you use with this ?
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

With the clear guard in place it will allow 1-1/2". I have not physically check that but I expect it to be very close to that.

I have since moved in to lathe work and have not had a chance to test the dust collection. I plan to stop at Rockler soon and will see if they have some sort of an adapter that might work better for dust attachment for the Festool hose.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I started working on my next fence option today. I have one of the old Incra fences and it doesn't get much use anymore so I thought I would bring it out of retirement and give it an active role on this router table.

Of course the SO works to do such things and since I have it I used it to cut out the mount that goes from the 20mm holes on 96mm spacing to the jig. By design the jig will either be flat to the table or adjusted for say a 3/4" mounting height. So this is what the jig looks like right after I finished cutting it out:
ifm1.jpg
ifm1.jpg (188.21 KiB) Viewed 2528 times
The jig attaches to the base with 4 screws in slots on the jig. Here is a "rear" view:
ifm4.jpg
ifm4.jpg (228.55 KiB) Viewed 2528 times
It will mount with two special dogs at the rear of the table as seen here:
ifm3.jpg
ifm3.jpg (226.78 KiB) Viewed 2528 times
From this point to the center of the bit is about 6-1/4". The notch in the fence lines up with the cutter so a small cutter could be buried in the fence.
ifm5.jpg
ifm5.jpg (217.38 KiB) Viewed 2528 times
The fence can be mounted to a side as well but the notch will not line up with the bit and can be used if that is not part of the plan.
ifm2.jpg
ifm2.jpg (223.61 KiB) Viewed 2528 times
I have the right angle jig for the fence somewhere and maybe a few other parts, it has been a while since it was last active.

I also found out I have messed up one of the set of holes.......... I wanted 135.76mm between them but when I halved that the 67.76 looked like 62.76 on my scratch pad............ Now I have to figure a way of remounting the work piece to cut the holes in the correct location and make the two holes into an oval. Or maybe just forget that feature.....

Ed
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Half of 135.76 is 67.88.?

What is magic about 135.76?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The 96mm hole spacing means the diagonal of the holes is 135.76 to 2 decimal places so if I wanted to put the fence at a 45 degree angle to the normal of the table I need the that hole spacing. Each of those holes are off my 5mm and I'm not sure how or if I should try to fix this. I don't have a particular plan for the 45 degree mount but thought it could come in useful.

If I'd have caught it before I took everything apart it would have been a simple fix, now not so much.

Ed
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Ahh so. √2 x 96
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

After thinking things over I decided to change the two offending holes to ovals. I'm not using the hole for precision locating just as mount points so if they are off a bit it will not be an issue.

However returning the part to its last fixtured location to make the added cuts would be some what of a difficult task. Had I not taken it down it would have had a chance be this far along it wouldn't be easy to get things back the way they were and be able reestablish the 0,0 point.

What is easy to do is to design an oval in sketch up then cut it to use as a template. So that is my approach. Using some scrap MDF I cut the oval:
fix1.jpg
fix1.jpg (215.79 KiB) Viewed 2455 times
The set up looks like this:
fix2.jpg
fix2.jpg (205.78 KiB) Viewed 2455 times
To do the cutting I set up a flush trim bit and then double sided taped the pattern to the work piece:
fix3.jpg
fix3.jpg (204.99 KiB) Viewed 2455 times
To locate the pattern I used a dog in the work piece and then slid the pattern against the correct side and it was ready to cut.

Cut the first one then checked the size..... just like magic it worked!
fix4.jpg
fix4.jpg (175.87 KiB) Viewed 2455 times
Did the other oval and then on to trying it out.
fix6.jpg
fix6.jpg (200.92 KiB) Viewed 2455 times
Now to add the dogs, yep it works!
fix7.jpg
fix7.jpg (204.69 KiB) Viewed 2455 times
Now if I for some reason want it setting at 45 degrees to the table I can do it. BTW the Incra jig has to be removed to use these and the center hole but they are not the main way of mounting and I can live with that.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Some changes or should I say additions to the part today. I had used some wood screws to hold the Incra jig in place but since it is likely that I will not store the two together due to where the Incra jig lives plus the fact that the jig has slots that allow movement, so a change.

I went with some threaded inserts. I was lucky enough to have some but the paper work telling me the drill size was no where to be found. So I did a little guess work and testing first before drilling the real part.
addthreads.jpg
addthreads.jpg (201.56 KiB) Viewed 2372 times
I still have to make some face pieces for the fence but that was not on today to do list.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Today was make a fence day. Not all that exciting but it was on my list of things to do. And here it is:
ifadd.jpg
ifadd.jpg (212.38 KiB) Viewed 2290 times
Not sure why I gave it so much adjustment away from center since the notch in the fence is only an inch wide???? Maybe it will come in useful at some point.

Ed