New in the shop "The generic thread"

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edma194
Platinum Member

Re: New in the shop "The generic thread"

Post by edma194 »

Thanks Brenda, good idea. Maybe it can be made to work eventually.

If the cartridge for a bore sight is not quite the right size it shouldn't be too tough to put the same components into a simple cylinder. I'd want something fairly small to use in a drill chuck as well as collets. The chuck would have to be in very good shape to realign different size bits, or just use collets for every size bit, but even my shakiest chuck now will do better than I am sighting by eye alone. The dot for the boresights might be a little large, but if it's a laser it just needs smaller hole at the tip.

I see a number of these on Amazon, and I'm impressed with the ones that have alignment screws to refine the laser alignment. A 22 version should be small enough to be useful.

Green or red is fine with me, but not blue, I can only pick up a limited range of the blue frequencies.

ETA: I'm impressed with reible too Dusty. He makes great contributions here and on YouTube also. The same with so many of you guys, I love the info but I frequently feel inadequate seeing what you guys do so well.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

bainin wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:19 pm I had to wait a couple days until my new toy arrived. Its not a big deal-but for me it is as I havent thought of a good way to get around this problem on my own.

Many times, I find myself trying to "eyeball" a target using things that are fairly hard to discern the center of. For instance-this spiral router bit. I've marked the center line on the wood-but aligning further using the bit is not easy. Somehow I dont expect it to get any easier as I see my reader prescription is slowly creeping up !

bit-align.jpg

I know I could use a small drill bit to do something like this but with the different size arbors, I wanted somethign that had both 1/2" and 1/4" shaft on it to work with both arbors. I came across this doo-dad. BigHorn router bit centering gauge-which conveniently has both size shaft ends I wanted.

Likely im the last to the party on this-but maybe it will help someone coming along. Its $10 on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003N ... UTF8&psc=1

centering-punch.jpg

Anyways-now it is much easier to center on marks I've made with good accuracy. Once you have aligned-its just a matter of removing the centering gauge and replacing with the bit of your choosing.

punch-align.jpg

P.S - the grind mark on my fence was the teenagers doing - not mine :)

b
------------------------------------

Not only can this be done to find and set the center of a cut or hole , if use properly it can also be use to set depth of the cut , even the flatness from one end / side of the stock to the opposite end /side by cranking the table in or out . be sure to check it on the table alignment first before you make the cut or drill a hole . not sure my MK500 table will hold the precision this is capable of detecting, seems like my table has some deviation when ya add weight or force , I keep my tables waxed regularly and the locks are tight to help reduce the drag , deviation and friction .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

If you can get over the sticker shock they do make a laser center locator designed for mounting in a chuck/collet and you can find one here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WVG4OUI/?c ... _lig_dp_it

One of our members here has one and it is not me. But I do have one on my wish list. A couple years back we had a discussion on these and the possible use of bore sight lasers. I think the issue with the bore sight might be the focus. You want a really sharp spot to view without any or very little reflection.

Here is a thread from the past with my first experience with lasers in the shop:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17544

Shopsmith later started selling a version of these but I was very unhappy with the mounting system they use and suggest you just make your own mount.

Then for my SO I got a pair of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0788 ... UTF8&psc=1

Which I used to make prototype mount in place of the spindle on the SO. I still have to go back and do a final version sometime when they surface again in the shop. Still way more projects then time to do them.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I'm repairing a garden box and working alone I needed an extra set of hands to hold things in place while I screw them together. Since getting an extra set of hands is not easy to do it was much simpler to get a couple of C-clamps. The problem was that the reach needed to be 8". I'm thinking oh boy that maybe $20 each or at least $40. Ouch!

Well I couldn't have been more wrong! Harbor Freight has these 8" versions for $6 each! I couldn't believe how cheap.
8inchclamp.jpg
8inchclamp.jpg (219.66 KiB) Viewed 2028 times
Shown with the optional jaw pads..... so add another $2 to the total cost.

Used them today and they did fine for the job at hand. Not sure when or if I will need them again but now I have them I'm sure that they will be of some additional use but if not the added cost to the project was minimal. I've already spent over $25 on wood, $17 on screws and washers so not that much more to add.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I decided to go ahead and purchase the mid-size router table baseplate from Rockler. Here is a picture of it being unboxed:
msr.jpg
msr.jpg (201.2 KiB) Viewed 1859 times
There is also a little bag of screws and a starter pin laying somewhere there????

This plate will fit various routers, those listed are the Dewalt DW616 and DW618, Bosch 1617, Hitachi M12VC Makita 1100 and Porter Cable 100, 690, 890's. I own three of the listed routers so I have to decide which one will best fit and still allow the baseplate with router attached to be added and removed from my table with out much hassle. I'm leaning towards the Hitachi. It has more holes so very possibly it fits other routers as well but they are not listed.

If I have time tomorrow I will do a test run of the mounting and see where the switch and latch line up and if I will have to remove the handles or not, I know they come off on some routers but I haven't tried Dewalt.

Rockler had sent me a 10% off coupon which helps and it still good until 7/1/21 so if I like the setup I will see about getting the Set of 3 Clear Insert Rings for Rockler Convertible Benchtop Router Table. One of those rings allows you to use guide bushings so that is the one I really want but they only come as a set.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

This is actually the third or is the forth one of these that I have purchased. I got one for myself then one/two as a gift then just got another one today. What is it? It is the Johnson 12" inch/metric combo square. It is the same one that I have mentioned before and I'm still happy with how it is working out. We are talking a out lay of $10.91 at this time, plus tax and free prime shipping. No it is not a $100 version but the others have tested very well and I'm looking forward to getting this out in the shop tomorrow to check it's squareness. They are a little stiff when you start out but after some use they loosen up to a nice feel.

I've been working between the backyard and the front yard and having one square I was carrying it back and forth all the time. I do have others but I don't like switching measuring with one tool then setting up to cut with another. I think these will be a good pair to use that way but time will tell. I'm also liking the idea of having two heads on one rule for a few things, something best done with like squares.
combosq.jpg
combosq.jpg (165.54 KiB) Viewed 1792 times
So stay tuned for results tomorrow.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Newest sander arrived today:
festoolsander.jpg
festoolsander.jpg (207.65 KiB) Viewed 1733 times
I did manage to power it up and do a little sanding.

Yea, anything to make sanding a little more fun and less of a pain...........

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

reible wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 12:31 am This is actually the third or is the forth one of these that I have purchased. I got one for myself then one/two as a gift then just got another one today. What is it? It is the Johnson 12" inch/metric combo square. It is the same one that I have mentioned before and I'm still happy with how it is working out. We are talking a out lay of $10.91 at this time, plus tax and free prime shipping. No it is not a $100 version but the others have tested very well and I'm looking forward to getting this out in the shop tomorrow to check it's squareness. They are a little stiff when you start out but after some use they loosen up to a nice feel.

I've been working between the backyard and the front yard and having one square I was carrying it back and forth all the time. I do have others but I don't like switching measuring with one tool then setting up to cut with another. I think these will be a good pair to use that way but time will tell. I'm also liking the idea of having two heads on one rule for a few things, something best done with like squares.

combosq.jpg

So stay tuned for results tomorrow.

Ed
Again the square is square against my reference square so again I'm very impressed for the cost, I mean this is really pretty cheap!

Ed