New in the shop "The generic thread"

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

New in the shop "The generic thread"

Post by reible »

Not long ago I posted a new in the shop thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25246

And now I'm wondering if there would be any general interest in having this as an open thread for anyone who has something new in their shop to show. We use to do that at work but the new item had to fit in your pocket or possible fit in a briefcase as the large size exception. We did it weekly but this tread could be used as often as you like.

To get us started, if that actually happens here is something that just came in today. They are called "Original Strawbyte Saw Guide" "They are simple aid to aligning your guide rail to layout marks when it is the waste side of the cut that you need to be the accurately dimensioned part."
newtoday.jpg
newtoday.jpg (209.06 KiB) Viewed 2391 times
Those of you who use guide saw systems know that the rail goes on the line and you cut the waste side but what happens when you want the waste side to be your part? Well these solve that problem. It simply spaces the rail 2.2mm back from the line. Such a simple tool, but oh so useful.

I have some 2.2mm steel pins that I have used but this is much cleaner a solution and I while I have not used them yet I have seen them in use and instantly wanted them.

For the Festool TS55 saw the blade is 2.2mm, of course life is never so nice as to have every track saw use the same blade width. So check your saws blades width. If you happen to have a standard saw/blade it is likely you can get a set. I know they listed several sizes.

https://www.strawbyte.com/merchandise

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
bainin
Platinum Member

Re: New in the shop "The generic thread"

Post by bainin »

I had to wait a couple days until my new toy arrived. Its not a big deal-but for me it is as I havent thought of a good way to get around this problem on my own.

Many times, I find myself trying to "eyeball" a target using things that are fairly hard to discern the center of. For instance-this spiral router bit. I've marked the center line on the wood-but aligning further using the bit is not easy. Somehow I dont expect it to get any easier as I see my reader prescription is slowly creeping up !
bit-align.jpg
bit-align.jpg (74.86 KiB) Viewed 2283 times
I know I could use a small drill bit to do something like this but with the different size arbors, I wanted somethign that had both 1/2" and 1/4" shaft on it to work with both arbors. I came across this doo-dad. BigHorn router bit centering gauge-which conveniently has both size shaft ends I wanted.

Likely im the last to the party on this-but maybe it will help someone coming along. Its $10 on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003N ... UTF8&psc=1
centering-punch.jpg
centering-punch.jpg (51.98 KiB) Viewed 2283 times
Anyways-now it is much easier to center on marks I've made with good accuracy. Once you have aligned-its just a matter of removing the centering gauge and replacing with the bit of your choosing.
punch-align.jpg
punch-align.jpg (66.36 KiB) Viewed 2283 times
P.S - the grind mark on my fence was the teenagers doing - not mine :)

b
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Don't blame it on the teen years thingy. I have a couple marks just like that, probably created in exactly the same way and I am no teenager.

Stuff Happens
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Someone needs to make one with a built in LED putting a spot of light right on the mark. Since I'm not a teenager anymore my alignment skills have degraded a lot. It's not just my eyes, stiffening joints make small adjustments more difficult also. I do like using the fence on my SS drill press because once I find the center I can drill a line of holes right on the center line. Even then getting them right on the transverse marks is tough.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

edma194 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:18 pm Someone needs to make one with a built in LED putting a spot of light right on the mark. Since I'm not a teenager anymore my alignment skills have degraded a lot. It's not just my eyes, stiffening joints make small adjustments more difficult also. I do like using the fence on my SS drill press because once I find the center I can drill a line of holes right on the center line. Even then getting them right on the transverse marks is tough.
I understand completely and can certainly relate

I am always impressed when I view the work that reible so often posts. He has certainly mastered the art of accurate in all that he does (well, at least all that he shows us). His precision drilling has been a personal challenge for me.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

reible wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:57 pm For the Festool TS55 saw the blade is 2.2mm, of course life is never so nice as to have every track saw use the same blade width. So check your saws blades width. If you happen to have a standard saw/blade it is likely you can get a set. I know they listed several sizes.

https://www.strawbyte.com/merchandise

Ed
Ed,

Did you see that Festool just launched some new thinner kerf blades that are 1.8mm wide? I believe these came out with their new TSC 55 K anti-kickback tracksaw, but of course these blades can be used on their corded tracksaw as well. Might need a new spacer from Strawbyte if you decide to change blades...

The aluminum cutting blade is a nice option now.
Sawblades_Festool.jpg
Sawblades_Festool.jpg (91.33 KiB) Viewed 2163 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi, yes the new blades are thinner but I have the older TS55 and the blades do not work with that version. The riving knife would be the issue I think but I have not verified that. I think it is a nominal 2mm so that would be a no go.

In fact I just decide to check out the information to be sure what I heard was correct and

"This blade is not compatible with TSC 55 models manufactured before 2021, TS 55 EQ, or TS 55 REQ" Mine is a REQ.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Yes I use those router bit centering gauges all the time. So much so that I have two of them. One with my router stuff and another in my drill press stuff.
rbc1.jpg
rbc1.jpg (319.76 KiB) Viewed 2124 times
rbc2.jpg
rbc2.jpg (376.6 KiB) Viewed 2124 times
I'm glad you found them and I would recommend that if you don't have at least one you should get one.

Ed
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

edma194 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:18 pm Someone needs to make one with a built in LED putting a spot of light right on the mark. Since I'm not a teenager anymore my alignment skills have degraded a lot. It's not just my eyes, stiffening joints make small adjustments more difficult also. I do like using the fence on my SS drill press because once I find the center I can drill a line of holes right on the center line. Even then getting them right on the transverse marks is tough.
I do not remember where I got this information but it supposedly works. Gun companies make something called a "Bullet Laser Bore Sight". It is basically a laser inside a bullet casing that is used to help sight in a rifle. The correct size bullet laser can be held in a router collet to allow centering of the router by the laser point. I have not tried to locate one to try but I do use the bore cleaning brushes to clean the inside of router collets.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

thunderbirdbat wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:34 am I do not remember where I got this information but it supposedly works. Gun companies make something called a "Bullet Laser Bore Sight". It is basically a laser inside a bullet casing that is used to help sight in a rifle. The correct size bullet laser can be held in a router collet to allow centering of the router by the laser point. I have not tried to locate one to try but I do use the bore cleaning brushes to clean the inside of router collets.
It's a great idea, might be something the router companies should do. Many pistol/rifle cartridges are tapered or rimmed, I would think the boresight lasers would have to match that profile. I have two of these, neither would be a good choice. I usually use a countersink. I like the laser idea, putting in my request for green as my eyes don't do as well with red for whatever reason. Perhaps out friends at ToolQuest LLC will take this on. ;)

- David