Mothers Day Planters

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bainin
Platinum Member

Mothers Day Planters

Post by bainin »

I started this about a week ago as I wanted to attempt a mortise+tenon joint. I hadn't worked on that before.

The first tenon attempt came out offset on the board face..haha-took some creative alignment on the mortise side later..but it worked for the most part.
offset-mortise.jpg
offset-mortise.jpg (41.55 KiB) Viewed 2102 times
Here are the legs/pieces for a tall planter. You can see the mortise is placed offset on the face to compensate for the tenon mistake earlier.
tallpieces.jpg
tallpieces.jpg (97.5 KiB) Viewed 2102 times
After bungling my way thru this one, I repeated a shorter planter. This one with a better aligned mortise/tenon.
shortpieces.jpg
shortpieces.jpg (46.07 KiB) Viewed 2102 times
These were done in poplar with a multi clear coat polyurethane.
finsihed-planters.jpg
finsihed-planters.jpg (89.25 KiB) Viewed 2102 times
b
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Mothers Day Planters

Post by JPG »

As long as it all stays together no one will know. Nice job!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

I like the design! Came out great!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

They look great! I'm afraid to show my wife, as my own honey-do queue is already a mile long.

I'm curious -- what did you use cut the tapers? Those and the end round-overs really take the design to the next level.
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

I did the tapers on the bandsaw once I had cut down the legs to 2x36 rectangles on the saw (for the tall one).

The mortise and tenon/slot work - I first thought to do on the router table, but opted to nibble them away on the saw once I gave that a try and saw it worked nicely.

I have a couple pieces of the poplar left - I will likely make a few more while I still remember what I did. I would still like to improve
the mortise/tenon joints further and get better at that. Seems to be someting I would use often.

b
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Great Job, good looking too!

I like the style and they should look great with pots and plants in them

John
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I am curious why you made the tenons so large? That is what size router bit you had for the mortises??
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Yes- i have 1 good bit for the router currently :)

Is there a "standard" size for these things?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

1/3 total width.

shoulder 1/3, tenon 1/3, shoulder 1/3.

To 'guarantee' alignment ALWAYS reference a common edge.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Thanks JPG - I will see if I can manage that on the next round .

Any recommendations on length ?

b